Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I recently had to undergo surgery on my hand, followed by therapy. I'm now in the self-therapy stage. I want to sharpen my touch-typing as an extension of my recovery.

I have an old version of MBTT / Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (v. 18) on my iMac. I've had some old software conflicts on my iMac, so I was considering a clean-install of all of my software, including MacOS. I may try to clean-install Catalina or a next most recent version of MacOS. (It's been well over 10 years since my last clean install, so I believe I'm due.)

If I clean-install a more recent MacOS, I may have to discard some of my old software. I have no idea if MVTT 18 would run on Catalina or any recent MacOS. I played with MBTT prior to surgery, and was generally satisfied with it. Reviews of the newest version of MBTT on the Apple Store are horrible.

What is the best typing tutor on the MacOS these days? Are there any good ones? Do any tutors also offer ten-key training?

MY HARDWARE:
iMac 14,3 Intel Core i5 2.9 GHz, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM 21.5 inch
Logitech K850 extended keyboard, MX Master Mouse, Apple Trackpad

MY SOFTWARE:
currently MacOS 10.12.6 ("Sierra"), looking to clean-install Catalina or previous version
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (MBTT) v. 18

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
There still appear to be a number of free touch-typing websites. I don't think it matters which one you pick.

Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.