Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
And that's just your point of view...
More like the reality.
The simple objective fact is that iOS isn't more secure than Android and this has been proved time an time again like in the link below:

My Android phone runs version 12 and the Security patch is up to date. How is it any less secure than an iphone?
The other user asked for a source most likely in order to see the reasoning(with arguments) behind those claims. The only thing he got was: "I work for a corporation, and this and thta". So basically nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: dk001

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
So all apps will magically leave the app store if you are allowed to sideload? Because that is what happened on android right? No apps on the app store since everyone can just pirate and sideload? L O L

Reading all these posts in all these threads I have to ask: how does this drastically reduce security?

Android has some issues with the Play Store.
Apple has some issues with the App Store.
Phishing via text and email is prevalent no matter the OS.
Tricking someone into sideloading is a joke. More likely to get tricked by a text or email.
Yes there will likely be sketchy sites for any OS.
Sideloading is a choice and the site / store is a choice. You are more at risk from email / text / yada yada yada

So many the Sky is Falling claims. How about we see what the actual solutions are and then we can better understand instead of playing what-if and claiming the iOS world is ending. I wonder where all the common sense went sometimes.

/end rant

Android considers users data their money maker not apps. They are as sketchy as the devs that want iOS opened up.

Facebook is dead in the water with iOS with all the new privacy settings. Facebook tried to push a free VPN app to iOS that basically did a man in the middle on everything you do on your phone and Apple slapped them down because they were already trying to bypass the appstore and install dev versions and paying people to be part of it.

I promise you 100% iOS allows sideloading Facebook will be out of the appstore overnight. You think they won't figure out a way to bypass security and suck as much data as possible you're dreaming. With things like their VPN (Which they promise was just an experiment) they want every bit of traffic coming in and out of your device. This is what you are all fighting for at the end of the day. 10 billion dollars to the poor Meta. That's who you are going to benefit.

Saying it will only effect people that sideload when the sideloaders will have all traffic sniffed and taken apart please. This will affect anyone who interacts with these people. I already force Android users to use Signal if they want to communicate with me. I don't want to play wack a mole with iPhones.

• Haha
Reactions: Premium1 and VulchR

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Android considers users data their money maker not apps. They are as sketchy as the devs that want iOS opened up.

Facebook is dead in the water with iOS with all the new privacy settings. Facebook tried to push a free VPN app to iOS that basically did a man in the middle on everything you do on your phone and Apple slapped them down because they were already trying to bypass the appstore and install dev versions and paying people to be part of it.

I promise you 100% iOS allows sideloading Facebook will be out of the appstore overnight. You think they won't figure out a way to bypass security and suck as much data as possible you're dreaming. With things like their VPN (Which they promise was just an experiment) they want every bit of traffic coming in and out of your device. This is what you are all fighting for at the end of the day. 10 billion dollars to the poor Meta. That's who you are going to benefit.

Saying it will only effect people that sideload when the sideloaders will have all traffic sniffed and taken apart please. This will affect anyone who interacts with these people. I already force Android users to use Signal if they want to communicate with me. I don't want to play wack a mole with iPhones.

I am not a FB user. That said I could See FB taking a hike but.... I think instead you would see it still in the App Store in some fashion. However they would be one of the exceptions I can think of. Apple has the opportunity to design/build something different that satisfies all sides. Instead they appear to be entrenching.

For messaging, Signal is my number 2 only because I have many peers and customers that this would not work for.
It's a great app unfortunately it isn't that business friendly - adoption.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020

quit facebooking if you cannot trust them. not all users need apple to babysit them.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013

Lol Facebook isn't going to leave the app store even if sideloading is allowed. They know that the percentage of people who would download when it's not in the app store is tiny. Also, who cares if Facebook leaves? What a **** app that we would be better off with it going out to pasture.

Reactions: BurgDog

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
OK? No one (including Apple) is saying that MacOS is as secure as iOS. Mac is generally less prone to malware due partly due to the architecture but more from the sub-10% footprint. Bad actors will put money where the numbers are, and for personal computers, that is Windows.

When it comes to mobile Apps is a much more enviable target. Resources are already expended on this platform and will increase should it be forced to open up.

Mobile devices work under a different use case than desktop / laptop. They are always on. They are always on your person. They hold much more personal information than most PCs/Macs. They are mobile commununications devices and as such are in constant contact with mobile networks, WiFi networks, and various real-time services.

These are devices that arguably should be more locked down, not less (or even as much) than PC/Mac. These are devices that can have serious implications should they become unstable due to ad/tracking/malware traffic or just plain don't work when you need to call for help (emergency services, parents, kids, whomever).
WTF are you even talking about.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
But we don’t want android, we want macOS like ability to install any application outside the store.

Why not give us the option? Why do you expect iOS to be more unstable or not work? It’s like a fantasy land you describe as a hellscape.

People don’t want to use android as we love iOS. The thing is it’s arbitrary lockdowns against an invisible threat.

We have bigger chance of getting bugs from a random text
My take is that there is already a platform that provides the capabilities you want. And that is Android. Forcing iOS to be just like Android removes one very big platform differentiator. This removes choice as there will be not platform with a dedicated walled garden.

This is not a matter of “don’t turn it on”. This is not there for everyone. And this is very much like putting a door in the wall. Once there is documented and known way in it will be exploited.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001 and VulchR

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
My take is that there is already a platform that provides the capabilities you want. And that is Android. Forcing iOS to be just like Android removes one very big platform differentiator. This removes choice as there will be not platform with a dedicated walled garden.

This is not a matter of “don’t turn it on”. This is not there for everyone. And this is very much like putting a door in the wall. Once there is documented and known way in it will be exploited.
Android have hundreds of capabilities I don’t want. I want iOS but closer to macOS.

The door is already present and exploited. Apple just prevents normal users to use it

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Why do you assume that if Apple has to move in this direction they will adopt the Android model? I would hope Apple comes up with an alternative solution design that allows the best of both worlds.

Maybe I am reaching but ...

Reactions: BurgDog

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Why do you assume that if Apple has to move in this direction they will adopt the Android model? I would hope Apple comes up with an alternative solution design that allows the best of both worlds.

Maybe I am reaching but ...
That is a good question. I can't think of too many models to allow side loading or alternate storefronts. Other than having an on/off switch buried in the settings, how would you expect it to be implemented?

Some people here want iOS to as open as MacOS is. I don't foresee Apple going that far. MacOS allows all controls to be removed. I would except Apple to at a minimum require signed apps.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
That is a good question. I can't think of too many models to allow side loading or alternate storefronts. Other than having an on/off switch buried in the settings, how would you expect it to be implemented?

Some people here want iOS to as open as MacOS is. I don't foresee Apple going that far. MacOS allows all controls to be removed. I would except Apple to at a minimum require signed apps.

How about an app store category that alternative stores are in?
Maybe an second store that is nothing that alternative sites?

Maybe something else ...

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
How about an app store category that alternative stores are in?
Maybe an second store that is nothing that alternative sites?

Maybe something else ...
That will never work for the members of this site. That still puts Apple in charge of the alternate stores. They would be apps that can only be deployed via the App Store.

The vocals that be here demand nothing short of full autonomy - install any app (for store) directly without going through Apple at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.