Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Department of Justice has escalated its antitrust probe into Apple in recent months, according to The Wall Street Journal. Specifically, the report claims additional litigators have been assigned to the case and new requests have been submitted for documents and consultations with companies connected to the investigation.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-JoeBlue.jpg

As part of the probe, the report claims the Justice Department is looking into Apple's App Store business practices and whether iOS favors Apple's own apps and services over those provided by third-party developers and other companies.

Apple declined to comment on the report, but the company has previously denied that it operates anticompetitively and said it welcomes competition on the App Store.

The investigation began in 2019, when the Justice Department inquired about Apple's policies surrounding the App Store and met with developers to learn more about the App Store's review process. If the Justice Department chooses to move forward with a complaint, then Apple would face an antitrust lawsuit by the U.S. government.

Apple has been accused of or investigated for anticompetitive practices in several other countries over the past few years, including the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands, South Korea, Japan, and more, with many of the complaints related to the App Store. As a result, Apple has been forced to make changes to the App Store in some countries, such as allowing developers to offer alternative payment systems in South Korea.

Article Link: U.S. Justice Department Ramps Up Apple Investigation Amid Antitrust Concerns

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The U.S. Department of Justice has escalated its antitrust probe into Apple in recent months, according to The Wall Street Journal. Specifically, the report claims additional litigators have been assigned to the case and new requests have been submitted for documents and consultations with companies connected to the investigation.
This is an investigation about anticompetitive practices that Apple might be identified with.

9to5 had this additional information.

The probe is reaching the point to where the team is looking for ways to involve Jonathan Kanter, the head of the DOJ’s antitrust division. As previous reports have said, Kanter represented opponents of Apple, including Spotify, Tile, Match, and Basecamp, prior to joining the DOJ.

Apple would easily be able to challenge this anticompetitive investigation probe based on obvious bias of Jonathan Kanter that is involved.

Last edited:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This is an investigation about anticompetitive practices that Apple might be identified with. The App Store is only part of it, you have Apple Pay, Apple Card also competing with traditional banking industry and credit card companies.

Well, I for one would definitely want my tax dollars going to protect the traditional banking industry and credit card companies.

No one needs more protection than those two industries.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Well, I for one would definitely want my tax dollars going to protect the traditional banking industry and credit card companies.

No one needs more protection than those two industries.

Not to mention that the Apple Card is a Goldman Sachs Mastercard.

Goldman Sachs was founded in 1869 and is the second-largest investment bank (after Chase and ahead of BofA) and Mastercard … I mean, do I really need to continue?

Worrying that the banks and credit card companies need protection from “newcomer” Apple is like worrying that the auto industry needs protection from “newcomer” Elon Musk.

There are legitimate concerns over the Apple Store — both its high cost of entry and the dangers of removing Apple as the gatekeeper. Personally, I’m happy to let the experiment continue … those who want to install anything they please are free to use a Google phone; let those of us who prefer the comfort of curation stay in our bubble. Similarly, I don’t want any of today’s robots driving my car, which is why the EVs in my driveway are a Chevy Bolt and a Nissan Leaf; there’s no need for me to pray to the ghost of Nicolai Tesla that I won’t have a front-row seat to the death of a kid playing ball in the street.

When Apple threatens to drive Google and Samsung out of business, then it’s time to worry. I don’t expect that to happen soon.

But … seriously? Worrying about what the big bad Apple wolf will do to the poor widdle financial industry?

b&

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple declined to comment on the report, but the company has previously denied that it operates anticompetitively and said it welcomes competition on the App Store.

Welcomes competition 🤣

It must've been another company that has been fighting tooth and nail to prevent alternative 3rd party payment options or prevent reader app developers from including an in-app link to their own website for users to set up and/or manage payments for their accounts.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This is an investigation about anticompetitive practices that Apple might be identified with.

The probe is reaching the point to where the team is looking for ways to involve Jonathan Kanter, the head of the DOJ’s antitrust division. As previous reports have said, Kanter represented opponents of Apple, including Spotify, Tile, Match, and Basecamp, prior to joining the DOJ.

Apple would easily be able to challenge this anticompetitive investigation probe based on obvious bias of Jonathan Kanter that is involved.
All Kanter would need to do is recuse himself from the investigation if the DoJ goes forward with it like he did in the investigation of Google.

Reactions: blizzerand

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

What? Of course not.

First, the Attorney General is not a judge presiding over the law.

And just because the Attorney General previously represented clients, doesn't mean they are biased. Otherwise, the more career experience a lawyer has, the less likely they would be appointed Attorney General. The president would have nominate someone right out of law school with zero experience.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
It welcomes competition "on the App Store" not with. ;)

But, IMO, this should go nowhere. Apple created this business from nothing using a new programming language to create applications. There are issues with the business model. Apple, however, created a business platform that did not previously exist for the small developers; the costs seem quite reasonable for what it provided. Note that it is the large developers that are doing most of the complaining.

This reminds me of a homeowner that got a great deal on house because it was next to the airport. And then starts to complain about airport noise.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
All Kanter would need to do is recuse himself from the investigation if the DoJ goes forward with it like he did in the investigation of Google.

Kanter was cleared as well.

Reactions: GeoStructural

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
There are so many ways Apple could have avoided this. It's going to be infinitely worse for everyone once the government

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
So once Apple opens the ecosystem in iOS 17 does this investigation go away? Or is there potential for liability until the statute of limitations on anti-trust behavior expire (~4 years from what I read)?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Apple, however, created a business platform that did not previously exist for the small developers; the costs seem quite reasonable for what it provided. Note that it is the large developers that are doing most of the complaining. .

Not exactly. App stores existed before the iPhone (and iPod Touch) launched in 2007. Both Apple (with iOS and App Store) and Google (with Android and Google Play store) can be credited with helping to bring the mobile app market to where it is today.

Regardless, none of it means a company should be allowed to violate antitrust laws and engage in anticompetitive behavior. Microsoft created a lot of opportunities for hardware and software companies but that didn’t and doesn’t mean they are immune to antitrust laws and regulations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.