Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Oh yes there is. Just don't force unwanted promotional material on them.

Done.

So that would mean you thank Apple and are pleased for everything you do NOT receive for free. That's not happening so there truly is no pleasing people like you.

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
it took me nearly 30 minutes to delete this junk from my itunes and iphone. all the help guides out there didn't help as this virus was just persistent.

----------

So that would mean you thank Apple and are pleased for everything you do NOT receive for free. That's not happening so there truly is no pleasing people like you.

it would have been better if they would have released a promo code to get the album instead of downloading it automatically on people's devices like mine. I dont' like U2. i didn't want that ****. if it were a Beyonce album then i would be all over that.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
it is boring and irrelevant.

Apple got how many more credit cards on file with iTunes? Worth their cost. U2? Got to still believe their music is relevant when it is not.Not for years.

I don't think Apple would've gotten a lot of credit cards if the album were irrelevant.

2headedgeek

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
It's a phenomenal album. I highly encourage anyone who considers themself a music lover to listen to this record. It's free and entirely in the cloud, so what do you have to lose?

The only reason this album was free is because it is shockingly bad and the public would not have purchased it.

It is horrendous.

superram1234

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Apple wasting 100 million dollars on U2 is laughable, considering that the band is irrelavent and it doesn't give any incentive for the customer to invest more of their money into apple. not only at that, most people I knew were confused about the album being in their songs and were freaked out that they may have purchased it on accident.

I hope this doesn't turn into a slippery slope

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
i dont think that u2's music does represent the taste of all apple users.

or do we have to like it? :D

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I don't get all the complaining about this. Just don't download it if you don't like it, who cares?

Hey you're right, why would they complain about 1 ton of free horse manure being dumped into their front garden? It is free, if they don't like it, they can just shovel it away...

It auto downloads for people who have the option enabled.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Promotion or shoving it down our throats?

Just HAD to say something negative?

2 million? isn't that kind of small?

Downloading as opposed to listening via Radio in iTunes.

I don't know if it's just me, but I had to physically download each song instead of being able to just download the album.

On my iOS devices, I was able to select the entire album which then downloaded (from the Cloud) each song.

Didn't show up for me, not even by the next day. I had to go to the store then into the purchases tab to finally be able to click and download. And even after it was on one of my macs, it still didn't appear on another that was (supposedly) synced with iTunes match. Even in the iTunes store the album showed up but showed as "purchased" with no way to download there.

Nice to get a free album, but it sure didn't give a good impression of Apple's ability to roll out something like this seamlessly. Definitely not "it will just appear in your iTunes library!" as they claimed in their hype.

The same thing happened on my Mac Pro. Maybe it is because I have not signed in for the Cloud.

When my iPod Touch was connected to my Mac, I was able to download the album from the Cloud.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I guess I'm counted in the 2 million, but I downloaded it to see just how terrible it was and promptly deleted it. No wonder they're giving it away for free, no one would've bought this piece of garbage.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Wait it was given to 500 million iTunes customers then a further 2 million were downloaded?

Given to the customers in their iTunes with accessibility through Radio. Not everyone will choose to download to his personal device since it is in the Cloud.

----------

I guess I'm counted in the 2 million, but I downloaded it to see just how terrible it was and promptly deleted it. No wonder they're giving it away for free, no one would've bought this piece of garbage.

Each to his own.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Apparently, Apple is spending upwards of $100M on this promotion.

If "only" 2 million have downloaded it, that's $50 per user.

I'd much prefer they gave me a $50 iTunes voucher than have this **** pop up automatically in my music shuffle because I have match.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Even without signing in to the Cloud, I found that I was able to download the album by going to iTunes Store > Music and selecting Purchased from the bottom of the page. Then I clicked on the U2 album and then I clicked on the Cloud Download symbol in the upper right corner.

As for all those who don't like the music: Get over yourselves. Not everyone likes classical music and not everyone considers rap as being music.

Attachments

• Store.jpg
    Store.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Purchased.jpg
    Purchased.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 85

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
Did it download automatically or is that an assumption? It didn't for me, and I have auto-download turned on.

Hard to imagine that less than 2 million out of 600+ million iTunes accounts have auto-download turned on.

Good point. Maybe it's just iTunes Match customers then. I know it ended up on my phone and I have iTunes Match.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I restarted iTunes and went to the purchased tab and the songs were there but just said "purchased". Click a song and a window will pop up with the album and give you the option of downloading each song or the album by clicking the cloud symbol. Hope that helps.

You may need to sign out of iTunes in the settings and back on. And I had to do this on an iOS device. It would not work on iTunes on the Mac. It just showed purchased but no way to download on the Mac.

Thanks a ton. I will try this right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.