Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I’ve been trying to look this up, but a lot of info seems to be dated. All that seems for certain is that using FaceTime is still banned.

1. If you buy an iOS device through official channels in the UAE, is there still absolutely no option to get FaceTime regardless of SIM or where I go with it in the future? In other words, can I take my UAE iPhone to a country that allows FaceTime, swap SIMs and get FaceTime again while I am there?
2. If I bring a non-UAE iPhone to the UAE and swap SIMs, do I lose the FaceTime app altogether? Or does the app still stay and I just can’t use it while at the UAE?

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
1) you will get FaceTime in another country once you swap the sim even if you bought a UAE variant that has no FaceTime

2) that’s what I did, bought my iPhone 11 Pro from a shop here called Arish.ae. It was a USA phone and has FaceTime and it works buttery smooth when connected to a VPN and it does get LTE signal

NEVER buy iPhones or iPads from official retailers. The prices are the same but no FaceTime and oh the warranty is valid in the UAE regardless

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
1) you will get FaceTime in another country once you swap the sim even if you bought a UAE variant that has no FaceTime
This is not correct. iDevices purchased from UAE Apple stores, facetime doesn't work in other countries with a new simcard. Facetime is hardware disabled for 'for UAE made' phones.

2) that’s what I did, bought my iPhone 11 Pro from a shop here called Arish.ae. It was a USA phone and has FaceTime and it works buttery smooth when connected to a VPN and it does get LTE signal

NEVER buy iPhones or iPads from official retailers. The prices are the same but no FaceTime and oh the warranty is valid in the UAE regardless
This is correct. Buy USA imports in parallel markets in UAE, so that facetime can be used once outside UAE or with VPN's in UAE.

Reactions: Super Spartan1

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017

How much of a markup can I expect when doing this compared to official prices?

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Bringing this thread back to the surface …

It looks very much like FaceTime is now working in the UAE. Although there has been no formal announcement from anywhere. Many users reporting that they can use it and it seems reasonably stable.

There is also now an official UAE Apple support section for FaceTime.

Enjoy !

Mohd Haque

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2020
I am here in uae and purchased iphone 13 pro max from Apple store few days back . I am using Facetime and Its working for me . But yes calling expeirence is not good maybe due to indias network from calling from uae.

To enable and activate facetime in Uae , u hv to activate iphone with Chosing Country India as region.
And also Chose India in Language and Region Section.
Facetime will appear here in UAE as well.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I am here in uae and purchased iphone 13 pro max from Apple store few days back . I am using Facetime and Its working for me . But yes calling expeirence is not good maybe due to indias network from calling from uae.

To enable and activate facetime in Uae , u hv to activate iphone with Chosing Country India as region.
And also Chose India in Language and Region Section.
Facetime will appear here in UAE as well.

Glad you have it working ....... just be clear to anyone else reading this its not essential to use India settings. We have our devices set on a mixture of local UAE settings, UK and US and all work equally well here. We also have a mixture of UAE and UK purchased devices and no difference.

Mohd Haque

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2020
I know , but just for reference i mentioned india as its banned or restricted in uae.anyone can use any country just be sure its not restricted their.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I know , but just for reference i mentioned india as its banned or restricted in uae.anyone can use any country just be sure its not restricted their.
To be clear ….. I live in UAE and FaceTime has been unblocked at this time ….. the country that you are calling to on FaceTime has no relevance assuming it’s not blocked in the receiving country. ?

Last edited:

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Day before I was returning from UAE and picked up an iPhone 15 Pro from duty free. Got it to India activated it selecting India as region and no issues with FaceTime or any other apps. The guy at the counter had also confirmed FaceTime works.

So people planning on purchase from UAE need not worry, just get it activated in a country with no restrictions.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Day before I was returning from UAE and picked up an iPhone 15 Pro from duty free. Got it to India activated it selecting India as region and no issues with FaceTime or any other apps. The guy at the counter had also confirmed FaceTime works.

So people planning on purchase from UAE need not worry, just get it activated in a country with no restrictions.
It’s not an issue with the devices it’s the services that are blocked.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
In my earlier purchase few years back, FaceTime option would not even be available. So though I activated it in India, was unable to use FaceTime. Not just the service.
Correct …. on UAE models a few years back the FaceTime app was removed. This changed quite a long time ago, the app is now installed but generally is blocked here, the same as WhatsApp calling and some other VOIP apps are blocked. Once you are on a non UAE network everything works (or should)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.