Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
ehurtley said:
One is a Sonnet upgrade, the other is a pull from a PMac G4. The pull is in the beige, the Sonnet is in the B&W. (The B&W can have firmware problems with G4s, so I made sure to run the Sonnet firmware update before trying it. The beige generally doesn't have any firmware issues.)

livingfortoday said:
Ok, cool. I'd read that the Beige couldn't handle pulls from G4 towers, since the bus on those processors was 100Mhz versus the 66Mhz in the Beige. Could you point me to a site, or do you know off the top of your head which G4's could be pulled and put in place of the G3 in the beige? I can't seem to find definitive answers anywhere, and the one G4 processor I have definitely won't fit.

Thanks.

yea but also the yikes CPU in a Beige G3 wont work right cause OF dont have the proper info to use the L2 on the G4 case the addresses for the L2 is diffrent in the G3 than in the G4. and in OF reports the cpu as a 60? and the reason for that is cause there is no info in OF for a G4

if there was a way to add the proper info into OF about the G4 cpu. say like all the addresses for the L2 and components in the G4 and the info to say what the cpu is. like look in OF on a yikes G4 and look at the cpu info and write it all down , and then put the G4 into the Beige G3 and boot into OF and look at the cpu info and you will see what im talking about.

if you could imput that G4 info into the Beige G3's OF from the yikes then the cpu would and should properly work. but im not holding my breath.

the only way for you to use the L2 on the G4 cpu from a yikes on the Beige is to use the L2 cache enabler from some where.

i tryed that same upgrade path to pull a G4 cpu from a yikes "it worked and ran at the 400mhz speed" and put it into the Beige G3 and i found out that the L2 wasnt being used and the system ran real slow. and i tryed to use a L2 enabler progie and all i got was lockup's when i tryed to boot to OS 9.2.2 during the extension's loading. the ATI exelorator extention was conflicting with the L2 enabler extention and would lockup.

so i just bought a G3 450mhz cpu and since my system bus is at 66mhz i could select 433 or 466 i opt for 466. and i have no problems what so ever with that cpu. people have tryed to feed me the the BS on why the G4 cpu didnt work in the Beige G3 cause of the 100mhz system bus in a yikes vs the 66mhz bus on the Beige, Yea right if that was the case the G3 cpu from a B&W would not work either. all it is is OF dont have the proper info to detect the G4 cpu right, and since it cant detect it right cause the proper info isnt there in OF it uses the 60? info and that is by far not the same settings that the G4 cpu uses.

sorry for my running at the mouth. but it woruld be cool if a fix was possable to add in OF to get the Beige G3 to properly detect a G4 cpu L2 and all with no software help of a L2 enabler

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Based on your posts, I went and opened them up and checked. You're right. I have the Sonnet in the beige, and the G4 pull in the B&W with a firmware hack. (May even just be the Sonnet hack.) Which also means that the two speeds are reversed. 400 MHz in the B&W, 500 MHz in the beige. I really should put the Sonnet in the B&W.....

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Add this uber Beige to the list :)

Got it as -
266 MHz G3
32MB RAM
NO HD
CD-ROM
Wouldnt turn on.

Now is a -
300 MHz G3 OC'ed to 333MHz
512MB RAM
8GB IDE, 9GB SCSI
CD-ROM, 48x
Boots
Mac OS X Jaguar, Mac OS X Panther, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2
ATi Rage 128 16MB Graphics
USB 1.1

I think my brothers going to love his new Mac. :D He was using a 8500 with 9.1

Whats even scarier, is Tiger FLYS on this thing. Its faster on this ol' Beige than Panther or Jaguar. O.O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.