Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I have just installeed bootcamp and windows xp and that is working perfect on my mbp, i am wondering how to boot ubuntu from a live cd? i thought i had the live version downloaded, i burnt it onto a dvd disc with toast but when i restart my mbp and hold option i just get windows and macantosh for os's. then i try restarting and holding c and i just boot in osx. can someone tell me what i am doing wrong, or if i did not download the correct distro ?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
not sure about macs but i know on my pc you have to go into the bios and make sure you have the cd set as bootable. usually this is found under the boot priority order. otherwise it goes to the hard drive first. again, not sure how mac bios works since i've never messed with it, but i hope this helps.

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
hmm thanks anyways, can i boot in windows on my mac, and do what ur saying while im booted in windows?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've booted and installed Ubuntu on Macs before. I just burned the image using Disk Utility and booted off the CD/DVD using the 'C' key after the boot tone.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
It might be that it is a DVD? I am not too familiar with the inner workings of ISOs, so you might want to try burning it to a CD. Or, get a trial version of VMWare Fusion or Parallels, and install Ubuntu to that.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
not sure about macs but i know on my pc you have to go into the bios and make sure you have the cd set as bootable. usually this is found under the boot priority order. otherwise it goes to the hard drive first. again, not sure how mac bios works since i've never messed with it, but i hope this helps.

Macs use EFI (Extended Firmware Interface) which has nothing to do with the BIOS, thusly you cannot set this bootable parameter even if you boot into windows, because Bootcamp emulates the BIOS on the EFI... :(

Good idea though.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I've booted and installed Ubuntu on Macs before. I just burned the image using Disk Utility and booted off the CD/DVD using the 'C' key after the boot tone.

That's all I did too and worked fine for me. Maybe you burnt the wrong version?

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
no im pretty sure i got the right cd. i logged onto windows and put in the ubuntu cd, and the ubuntu logo and everything came up and gave me all this info and telling me i should boot off live and all that stuff and gave me instructions to just reboot the comptuer. but that never worked, so any idea why this isnt working?

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
acutally it may be the wrong version or something i dunno, but could someone send me the link to a proper ubuntu, fedora, or beryl live cd distro so i could try it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.