Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm still annoyed that hidden photos no longer appear in albums they've been added to. Basically if you have a lot of hidden photos on your phone, there's no way to organize them; they all end up in the Hidden album, period.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'm still annoyed that hidden photos no longer appear in albums they've been added to. Basically if you have a lot of hidden photos on your phone, there's no way to organize them; they all end up in the Hidden album, period.

That's the purpose of the hidden album. I add any photos to their album and I then hide any photos I don't want seen. Obviously we know what the hidden album is for. Photos we don't want seen by anyone but ourselves.

I do agree with OP though, where is the lock/faceID for hidden albums??? What's the point when all you do is go to that album and BOOM, free to view. Better than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: macbookguy

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
same here yet we got it on the stupid Notes app years ago.

I swear if people ever open my trash folder ...

Hah...this is me as well...every month, recover and then delete again... ;)

Just give me an album for "locked" photos so that is the only place to see them!!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I have started to save them to OneDrive which offers TouchID protection
I get nervous about that...just want them on my phone...not over the cloud.

I just don't think it is too difficult to imagine that people would like to have some personal or even business related pics in locked folders only so they can access them when needed without accidentally seeing them when flipping through the larger "all photos" album.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Like seriously?!!

How many more OS's will it take them to realize this stupid omission??

I mean, KAMAAAAAHHHNNNNNN :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.39.23 AM.png

I feel ya. It took forever for them to hide the folder image, too.

Reactions: Jayderek

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That's the purpose of the hidden album. I add any photos to their album and I then hide any photos I don't want seen. Obviously we know what the hidden album is for. Photos we don't want seen by anyone but ourselves.

I do agree with OP though, where is the lock/faceID for hidden albums??? What's the point when all you do is go to that album and BOOM, free to view. Better than nothing I suppose.

The problem with that folder is that it just BEGS to be opened if someone gets a hold of your phone. The album is still right there...if they just added a passcode lock for that one album, I'd be happy.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The problem with that folder is that it just BEGS to be opened if someone gets a hold of your phone. The album is still right there...if they just added a passcode lock for that one album, I'd be happy.

These are personal devices and I don’t think Apple designs them to be used by multiple people especially when you have sensitive information on there.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
These are personal devices and I don’t think Apple designs them to be used by multiple people especially when you have sensitive information on there.
Perhaps, but they understand that we hand our phones off to others to show off pictures. They understood the need for hiding pics, then understood the need for removing the cover photo from the folder. This would be a great next step. There are of course apps you can use but then you are allowing another developer/company access to your data. Apple is helping to keep it on the phone under your control.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

So...you keep your phone unlocked all the time??

It IS a personal device...and I'd like to keep some things on there personal...explain why banking apps, password apps, etc. all require a passcode to be unlocked if they are on a personal device?

I understand you may think every picture you take or grab from the web and have on your phone doesn't need to have an extra level of security...I do...not all, some...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
With that kinda logic, our iPhones don't need any passcodes at all. Hey, they are "personal devices", right?

Sure

Passcodes protect you from unwanted access but if you willingly unlock your device and give it to someone to go through your stuffs then that’s up to you.

So...you keep your phone unlocked all the time??

It IS a personal device...and I'd like to keep some things on there personal...explain why banking apps, password apps, etc. all require a passcode to be unlocked if they are on a personal device?

I understand you may think every picture you take or grab from the web and have on your phone doesn't need to have an extra level of security...I do...not all, some...

Please refer to my previous response.

Perhaps, but they understand that we hand our phones off to others to show off pictures. They understood the need for hiding pics, then understood the need for removing the cover photo from the folder. This would be a great next step. There are of course apps you can use but then you are allowing another developer/company access to your data. Apple is helping to keep it on the phone under your control.

I agree, it’s not just for photos, I think a secondary passcode can be implemented for a lot of things within iOS but generally any such new feature is down to specific usecase. I’m not sure the hidden feature gets used so much that Apple would consider implementing a secondary passcode system anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Passcodes protect you from unwanted access but if you willingly unlock your device and give it to someone to go through your stuffs then that’s up to you.
Hidden photos, aka private photos, should have a passcode, whether I unlock my phone and give it to someone or NOT. Private Notes are protected. So should Hidden Photos. It's an omission, simple as that.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hidden photos, aka private photos, should have a passcode, whether I unlock my phone and give it to someone or NOT. Private Notes are protected. So should Hidden Photos. It's an omission, simple as that.

Coming back to the topic, how can you compare notes with photos?! Completely different apps made for different purpose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ a banana and an orange ain’t the same even though both are fruits.

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit

So you don't understand how Encrypted Notes work... They are protected using a separate password that can be saved using TouchID. That could be implemented for the Hidden Album in Photos. If you don't want the feature don't use it, why are you complaining about something you don't care about??

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is basically as far as they are willing to take it with photos it seems--they see the usability of being able to exclude certain ones from the main album so that when people are showing their camera roll or giving another app access to it the hidden photos won't show up as part of it, but seems like they don't want to treat them as actually protected in the sense of being behind authentication of some sort.

Whether its because they don't see them as something that stores private data (like notes, for example), or some other reason, or perhaps no reason, that's how it has been so far. Hopefully that might change in the future, as it did with Notes, or it might not, kind of like the large volume control overlay that still there despite pretty much universal understanding that there are better ways of going about it.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
This is basically as far as they are willing to take it with photos it seems--they see the usability of being able to exclude certain ones from the main album so that when people are showing their camera roll or giving another app access to it the hidden photos won't show up as part of it, but seems like they don't want to treat them as actually protected in the sense of being behind authentication of some sort. Whether its because they don't see them as something that stores private data (like notes, for example), or some other reason, or perhaps no reason. Hopefully that might change in the future, as it did with Notes, or it might not, kind of like the large volume control overlay that still there despite pretty much universal understanding that there are better ways of going about it.

Well said there. that’s what I meant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.