Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmember

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
For some reason, my Contacts App likes to duplicate lots of names. So I deleted one of them tonight. I was very careful to delete only the one that didn't have tons of information in the Notes part. Very careful. Now I go back and that contact is deleted....along with all the important info.

If I can't retrieve that information, I will never trust Apple or any other software to hold my info securely. I'll print out everything important. Which I should have done with that one name anyhow. I guess the least we should do is simply put our important information in lots of different apps. Surely one of them can be trusted? (Prolly not)

Anyhow, is there any way to retrieve deleted info in the Contacts app? Like we can do with photo albums?

mrmember

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
If you have an iPhone/iPad Apple expects you to be syncing it with either your computer (itunes) or iCloud . That way, if you are in this situation, you can restore your backups. If you don't have WiFi backup turned on in your settings I would recommend doing it from this point forward.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Thank you for that. I didn't have iCloud back-up turned on because it said that if I did, I couldn't back up 'automatically' using iTunes. I didn't think that through. So can I still do a manual back-up if I want to connect to iTunes?

By the way, I had that important information also stored in 'Notability', which I'd forgotten. I feel like I dodged a bullet because it really was important information. :)

Two questions if you don't mind....

1 - after I turn on iCloud back-up, can I still do a manual back-up if I want to connect to iTunes?

2 - do I have to go to all my Apps individually and turn on iCloud back up for them to appear in the actual iCloud back-up screen?

Thanks

miniMOJOman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
1 - after I turn on iCloud back-up, can I still do a manual back-up if I want to connect to iTunes?

I believe so yes, but as long as your phone is connected to wifi/itunes it will automatically backup for you.

2 - do I have to go to all my Apps individually and turn on iCloud back up for them to appear in the actual iCloud back-up screen?

It will back up all of your apps by default. (apps should be selected in your icloud settings for backup)

Does this help?

mrmember

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I believe so yes, but as long as your phone is connected to wifi/itunes it will automatically backup for you.

It will back up all of your apps by default. (apps should be selected in your icloud settings for backup)

Does this help?

Yes, thanks for the help. I didn't get the email alert for responses so I'm just getting back here now. sorry for the delay! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.