Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Xylene said:
What are you talking about? The processor in the Mac Mini is not a "dodgy" or "defective" Core Dou processor with a disabled core. It's simply a single core version of the same architecture, thus the name, Core Solo.

I thought it was a defective core too...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Xylene said:
What are you talking about? The processor in the Mac Mini is not a "dodgy" or "defective" Core Dou processor with a disabled core. It's simply a single core version of the same architecture, thus the name, Core Solo.

Exactly as other posters have said.

Also Intel DO NOT MAKE A 1.5 SOLO CHIP, this is a technically FAULTY duo that did not past the tests and so they disable one of the cores and clock it slower........ So there :p :p :p :p :p

It's a common practice surprisingly. So for them to do it to a GFX card is NOT surprising in the slightest...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
MacRumorUser said:
Exactly as other posters have said.

Also Intel DO NOT MAKE A 1.5 SOLO CHIP, this is a technically FAULTY duo that did not past the tests and so they disable one of the cores and clock it slower........ So there :p :p :p :p :p

It's a common practice surprisingly. So for them to do it to a GFX card is NOT surprising in the slightest...

Personally, I think that they reduced the core for temp and battery life. In XP with the core clocked to 450/450 I only get about 1 hour and 45 minutes. With the core standard, I get over 2 hours and thirty minutes.

Still, if we stay tethered and do not go crazy with the clock speeds, then we will have the ability to bring it up to where it should be :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Backtothemac said:
Personally, I think that they reduced the core for temp and battery life. In XP with the core clocked to 450/450 I only get about 1 hour and 45 minutes. With the core standard, I get over 2 hours and thirty minutes.

Still, if we stay tethered and do not go crazy with the clock speeds, then we will have the ability to bring it up to where it should be :)

Possibly, but why reduce them for the imac though?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Xylene said:

Well, in all honesty, a 'broken' Duo may be exactly what the Solo is :)

This is pretty much "standard operating procedure" in the semiconductor industry. You get your plants to churn out as many wafers as possible and try to hit the cost/yield sweet-spot. You then test the cores you've produced, and grade & sell appropriately.

There's no difference in design between the 2.13, the 2.0 or the 1.6 GHz Core processors. It just so happened that the silicon in the faster processors just happened to fall in a neater way, and thus can withstand higher clock speeds with proper stability.

Likewise, the Core Solo's are quite possibly those dies which had a defect in one of the units. Just rewire the FPGA (or whatever package they're using) and sell as a Solo.

During the 'ramp-up' of a new processor, a fair amount of work goes into measuring the yields of the factory -- how many cores from each wafer are likely to function at a particular speed, or with a certain feature-set operational.

CPU makers do this to make the best out of what is an inexact science. A 100% yield for a complex modern CPU is the stuff of fantasy. But instead of simply throwing out the imperfect, they're made into functional units and sold as another product line. If I remember rightly, AMD Semprons were originally those Athlon 64's whose 64bit extensions were faulty, but sold as a budget line without 64-bit capability. Gradually, as the manufacturing process (aka. the 'stepping' of the processor) was refined, Semprons became 64-bit too, and the distinguishing difference between the Sempron and the Althlon 64 was how much of the Level 2 cache was operational.

The same goes for the GPU industry. Often, GPUs with faulty pipelines are re-badged with a lower model number, have the faulty parts disabled via the ROM, and sold as a cheaper product line.

Pretty neat, really. There's absolutely no reason to view this selection process as a cut-corner or as 'cheaping out'.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
The one difference today is that Intel has worked out ways to permanently disable features on the chip. In the early days, you could "fix" chips to enable features.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
MacRumorUser said:
Possibly, but why reduce them for the imac though?

Well, I would again say heat. The iMac is just a glorified laptop that happens to sit on a desk. No like a BTX tower from Dell wehre there is massive amounts of cooling etc.

I personally don't think we will hurt the cards, At least I hope.

Oh, and you are right the core solo is a broken core duo, just like a celeron is a broken PIV

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
weldon said:
The one difference today is that Intel has worked out ways to permanently disable features on the chip. In the early days, you could "fix" chips to enable features.

*grin*

I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro in my PC that started life as a non-Pro... then with a little testing and a re-flash of the board's firmware, it became a Pro with all 16 pipelines enabled. And then, it worked out that it ran perfectly stable at Radeon 9800 XT speeds. So I saved myself a fair amount of £££ there :)

Incidentally, it's the yield which largely decides the relative prices of processors. The slowest Core Solo costs Intel exactly the same amount of money to make as the fastest Core Duo. But a wafer of 40 or so processors is likely to have many more 'imperfect' lower-spec cores than 'pure and perfect' highly-capable cores. So it's an issue of scarcity. Rarer fast cores cost more than more common slow ones.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
displaced said:
*grin*

I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro in my PC that started life as a non-Pro... then with a little testing and a re-flash of the board's firmware, it became a Pro with all 16 pipelines enabled. And then, it worked out that it ran perfectly stable at Radeon 9800 XT speeds. So I saved myself a fair amount of £££ there :)

Incidentally, it's the yield which largely decides the relative prices of processors. The slowest Core Solo costs Intel exactly the same amount of money to make as the fastest Core Duo. But a wafer of 40 or so processors is likely to have many more 'imperfect' lower-spec cores than 'pure and perfect' highly-capable cores. So it's an issue of scarcity. Rarer fast cores cost more than more common slow ones.

The 9800 pro has 8 pipes. I did a similar thing with my pro, only I upgraded it to an xt.

captainbrendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
Who out there has overclocked on their MBP's and what are your 3dmarks?

OC'd my 2.0 Ghz to 410/420 and everything works ok,

3dmark2006 2000ish
3dmark2005 3800ish

FEAR and Quake 4 run well, but Quake 4 runs much better

Every once in awhile when I exit a game my computer freezes. I think that this is less an overheating issue and more a ATItool issue.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's possible that the downclock was to make sure there were no "Rev. A" type problems with the GPU running too hot. Remember, Apple can always release a firmware update that will goose the speeds a little in the future.

It will be interesting to see if later versions of the MacBook Pro run higher clocks.

mikehowett

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
UK
I managed to overclock my iMac to 522/576 (would go higher but wanted to be safe) 3DMark06 score was 2240:D Performance in GTA: SA has also increased and is alot smoother!:)

captainbrendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
atitool won't work, as far as I know, with PPC computers. Besides, everyone here is using atitool in Windows! There is an overclocking utility for PPCs though, I don't recall the name though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
captainbrendo said:
atitool won't work, as far as I know, with PPC computers. Besides, everyone here is using atitool in Windows! There is an overclocking utility for PPCs though, I don't recall the name though.

ati accelerator i think, but it doesnt work with the x1600

Os Xp

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Well, I unistalled this because of heat problems and such, but I reinstalled it and now all of my settings (core, mem) set at 0.0. Everytime I try to overclock my screen flips out and it stays like that until I force reboot it. Any suggestions?

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i have a question, even though i don't own a macbook pro, would over or underclocking using atitool affect battery life at all? isn't overclocking giving the card more power? could you save battery life by underclocking?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Os Xp said:
Well, I unistalled this because of heat problems and such, but I reinstalled it and now all of my settings (core, mem) set at 0.0. Everytime I try to overclock my screen flips out and it stays like that until I force reboot it. Any suggestions?

Yeah I noticed this too. However I uninstalled mac drivers and re-installed them and I could clock again. Hence I think the drivers are what's causing it... I decided not to bother in the end, I want my mac to stay alive :p :p :p

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Just brilliant, so Apple overcharges you for hardware that only appears on their marketing papers but generate absolutely zero improvement in performance as they have to underclock it due to aesthetics.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
generik said:
Just brilliant, so Apple overcharges you for hardware that only appears on their marketing papers but generate absolutely zero improvement in performance as they have to underclock it due to aesthetics.

Well they've been artificially limiting hardware for ages (look at dual monitors on imac g4, ibook etc...) for a long time so we shouldnt be surprised. It's apple :D :D :D

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
MacRumorUser said:
Well they've been artificially limiting hardware for ages (look at dual monitors on imac g4, ibook etc...) for a long time so we shouldnt be surprised. It's apple :D :D :D

Underclocking mobile GPU's is apparently commonplace amongst other manufacturers also. Dell certainly do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.