Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hello,
I recently bought a MacPro 5,1. Right away I upgraded the drive to a Samsung NVMe and the Graphics Card to a GTX 680 (Flashed). After loading up Mojave, I noticed some UI Lag (See video), which I don't even get on my MacBook Pro. I also notice when I'm on the iPhone Simulator (iOS dev) it lags pretty bad. Once again doesn't do it on my MBP.

Is this a Graphics Card "being to weak"? Should I buy a AMD card?

I would assume that it's not the 2.66Mhz cpus being to weak. Which I do plan on upgrading as soon as I can.

I know there is a thing going on with Nvidia and Apple right now, however. The GTX 680 is on the supported list.

Oh and I'm using a 2k display.

Looking for what I can to fix this.

I should also mention, Final Cut Pro works great, it seems to be just the UI...

Video

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
I'm running at 2560x1440, however I'm not sure what the refresh rate is. I can't find where it will tell me that.
Wk2BmQr
ssHRW5h

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Okay, so I spent some more time trying to figure out the refresh rate, with no luck. I've tried using the option key in the preferences. Nope. Tried other programs like GLview and SwitchResX. Again No luck. Every place that would normally say the refresh rate says 0.

However, I don't think the refresh rate is the problem, when I'm editing 60fps video, it's very smooth. Even though I don't play games much, I tried to install Batman Arkham City on MacOS, ran it. It runs very smooth. So I'm guessing it's a UI thing.

Maybe I should upgrade to a AMD Graphics Card?

I was about to upgrade my Processors to X5690s (currently have X5650s), but wonder if I should change to a RX 580 instead first. Wonder which would make more a difference.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Okay, so I spent some more time trying to figure out the refresh rate, with no luck. I've tried using the option key in the preferences. Nope. Tried other programs like GLview and SwitchResX. Again No luck. Every place that would normally say the refresh rate says 0.

However, I don't think the refresh rate is the problem, when I'm editing 60fps video, it's very smooth. Even though I don't play games much, I tried to install Batman Arkham City on MacOS, ran it. It runs very smooth. So I'm guessing it's a UI thing.

Maybe I should upgrade to a AMD Graphics Card?

I was about to upgrade my Processors to X5690s (currently have X5650s), but wonder if I should change to a RX 580 instead first. Wonder which would make more a difference.

Can't view your uploaded picture.
Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 12.07.54 AM.png

Anyway, IMO, in your current situation. RX580 should more important than X5690.

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Update: After trying a different GPU and going to the Apple store and trying a iMac Pro and a MacPro 6,1. They both do the same thing. So I'm pretty sure it's just a MacOS thing. If anyone has any recommendations on how to make it smoother let me know. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.