Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a new Macbook, and I'm really worried about UI lag on Yosemite and intel video cards found in the base models. Anyone with the beta installed to confirm if UI lag is gone with new Metal APIs?

Thanks!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a new Macbook, and I'm really worried about UI lag on Yosemite and intel video cards found in the base models. Anyone with the beta installed to confirm if UI lag is gone with new Metal APIs?

Thanks!
Hey I'm still downloading! That being said I can't recommend the Mac Book of video performance is important to you. Your best bet is the 13" MBP in this price class range. It has a very good iGPU and in my case performs well.

That doesn't mean there aren't glitches. It is pretty obvious that Apple still has a number of software problems and these problems have nothing to do with Metal. In a nut shell El Capitan needs to fix other parts the system to eliminate these glitches.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I never had much of UI issues with Yosemite especially after 10.10.4 but things do seem much smoother now on 10.11 ... even turned transparency back on .... only played with it about 30 minutes now but I'm busy loading up all kinds of apps to put it through the paces, even performed amazing with Windows 8.1 running with Parallels ...

Reactions: puelocesar

puelocesar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I never had much of UI issues with Yosemite especially after 10.10.4 but things do seem much smoother now on 10.11 ... even turned transparency back on .... only played with it about 30 minutes now but I'm busy loading up all kinds of apps to put it through the paces, even performed amazing with Windows 8.1 running with Parallels ...

Nice! Next is to find out how much better Metal is compared with Mac OS version of OpenGL. It's well known that OSX graphics were much slower then Windows on the same machine. Maybe things will get better now with Metal?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Nice! Next is to find out how much better Metal is compared with Mac OS version of OpenGL. It's well known that OSX graphics were much slower then Windows on the same machine. Maybe things will get better now with Metal?
Certainly. OS X had never direct access to the graphics card functions (only via OpenCL and OpenGL and the appropriate graphics card drivers). Too much overhead. Retina displays worsened the situation in the past three years.

Btw: The old OS X OpenGL framework is over ten years old, AFAIR.

tschunde

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
UI is now really smooth on 10.11! I am so happy to see that apple repaired UI performance :)

They even fixed annoying things like the display magnifier that made the FPS drop in Yosemite. Glad I skipped Yosemite as main system. 10.11 is super fast compared to it.
Even the Dev Preview feels better than the latest production version of Yosemite.

Lazeran

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
UI is now really smooth on 10.11! I am so happy to see that apple repaired UI performance :)

They even fixed annoying things like the display magnifier that made the FPS drop in Yosemite. Glad I skipped Yosemite as main system. 10.11 is super fast compared to it.
Even the Dev Preview feels better than the latest production version of Yosemite.

How does it feels if you compare it to mavericks?

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I feel that system if very smooth and I would say that it is even smoother than Yosemite considering that it is the first beta. There are some graphics glitches which will be fixed over time. I am very impressed!

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Seems smoother than Yosemite, but I absolutely can get it to drop to low framerates and stutter.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
I just purchased a 2015 13 inch retina macbook pro 8 gig base model. It is still within the 14 day return period, I have already exchanged the macbook once due to terrible UI lag. This replacement model also has some lag issues and they persist through the El Capitan update, I am wondering if I should ask for another exchange or return this unit and purchase a Dell xps perhaps since these UI lag issues are really ruining the experience for such an expensive product. What do you guys say? This is my first apple purchase.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I just purchased a 2015 13 inch retina macbook pro 8 gig base model. It is still within the 14 day return period, I have already exchanged the macbook once due to terrible UI lag. This replacement model also has some lag issues and they persist through the El Capitan update, I am wondering if I should ask for another exchange or return this unit and purchase a Dell xps perhaps since these UI lag issues are really ruining the experience for such an expensive product. What do you guys say? This is my first apple purchase.

Can you try this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/for-those-annoyed-with-ui-lag.1874868 ?

There are other workarounds on this forum, but I'm not an expert on this because my old nvidia card doesn't present this issue..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.