Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norskman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I have a nasty bug in Yosemite (several versions now) that hopefully someone here has figured out how to beat.

Yosemite appears incapable of remembering window position and size across several applications (Safari, Chrome, Apple Maps etc.). I can open a Safari window for example and it opens in the same position and size every time despite resizing and moving the window.

Not only that, but if I move that Safari window and start typing in the address bar the dropdown with suggestions is actually appearing as if the window was still in the same position as before. Same thing happens in Chrome and Apple Maps but NOT with the Finder window, which I know a lot of people have struggled with.

Such an annoying bug!

I've attached a picture showing this bug manifesting itself with Apple Maps. In this case I've opened Maps, resized and moved the window and then gone to the search bar and searched for "Starbucks". As you can see the suggestion window is no longer properly attached below the search bar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 10.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 10.37.25 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a nasty bug in Yosemite (several versions now) that hopefully someone here has figured out how to beat.

Yosemite appears incapable of remembering window position and size across several applications (Safari, Chrome, Apple Maps etc.). I can open a Safari window for example and it opens in the same position and size every time despite resizing and moving the window.

Not only that, but if I move that Safari window and start typing in the address bar the dropdown with suggestions is actually appearing as if the window was still in the same position as before. Same thing happens in Chrome and Apple Maps but NOT with the Finder window, which I know a lot of people have struggled with.

Such an annoying bug!

I've attached a picture showing this bug manifesting itself with Apple Maps. In this case I've opened Maps, resized and moved the window and then gone to the search bar and searched for "Starbucks". As you can see the suggestion window is no longer properly attached below the search bar.

Create a new user, login to the new user and sees if the issue still happens. Another thing to try is repair permissions, reboot and see if that helps. I would also suggest doing a PRAM reset.

Norskman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Create a new user, login to the new user and sees if the issue still happens. Another thing to try is repair permissions, reboot and see if that helps. I would also suggest doing a PRAM reset.

Hi Taz. Thanks for your tip! I went ahead and created a testusr account on my Mac here at work and low and behold the problem was gone.

I did forget to mention an important piece of information (or two). I have this problem across my Mac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro. The screenshot is from my Mac Pro, which is also a domain joined Mac (network user account). The test account I made was a local one, for what it's worth.

The oddity is that I also have this problem with my home workstations, not joined to a domain and not a migrated user profile.

So it sounds like the problem is within my own user profile. Any ideas where to look for that? I already tried copying out the Safari .plist files for instance to see if I was dealing with a per-app corruption but that didn't make any difference.

----------

PS. I also noticed my signature was horribly out of date so I took the liberty of "stealing" your format for my updated one. Hope you don't mind. :D

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hi Taz. Thanks for your tip! I went ahead and created a testusr account on my Mac here at work and low and behold the problem was gone.

I did forget to mention an important piece of information (or two). I have this problem across my Mac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro. The screenshot is from my Mac Pro, which is also a domain joined Mac (network user account). The test account I made was a local one, for what it's worth.

The oddity is that I also have this problem with my home workstations, not joined to a domain and not a migrated user profile.

So it sounds like the problem is within my own user profile. Any ideas where to look for that? I already tried copying out the Safari .plist files for instance to see if I was dealing with a per-app corruption but that didn't make any difference.

----------

PS. I also noticed my signature was horribly out of date so I took the liberty of "stealing" your format for my updated one. Hope you don't mind. :D

Try renaming ~/Library/Safari to ~/Library/Safari_sav, reboot and try and see if the issue still happens.

No problem on the signature. Maybe I am setting a trend or fad ;)

Norskman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Try renaming ~/Library/Safari to ~/Library/Safari_sav, reboot and try and see if the issue still happens.

No problem on the signature. Maybe I am setting a trend or fad ;)

I will give this a try, but the fact that this happens in multiple applications, Apple or non-Apple, makes me wonder if this is something bigger. Do you have any tips for more UI related .plist files I can harass?

Norskman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Solved

I found the solution to this pesky problem for anyone else experiencing the same issue.

It was tied to the ~/Library/Caches folder for me. Drag that folder to Desktop, delete in Library (It will recreate) and the problem was gone for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.