Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlinford

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
I don't understand why Apple, normally a very proactive student supporter who for many years have offered good discounts on their computers (not just a supply and demand thing), are not offering the iPad and a Student price?

Anyone know why? :mad:

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
I don't understand why Apple, normally a very proactive student supporter who for many years have offered good discounts on their computers (not just a supply and demand thing), are not offering the iPad and a Student price?

Anyone know why? :mad:

They also don't offer any corporate discount on them.

Normally I can get a discount on apple stuff through my wife's work - with the iPad there was no dice. I figured that these are a new, highly desirable item and therefore they have no need to, at the moment at least, offer incentives for people to buy them.

Wait a while and they may just add reduced pricing.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005

Because, in essence, they are giving everyone the student price in order to bring the initial price below the $500 price point. While everybody was predicting the iPad, nobody expected the prices. People were talking sub-$1000.

I expect that when next year's models are near release you will see discounts or back-to-school specials on the old model. There are discounts for academic quantity purchases.

tlinford

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Because, in essence, they are giving everyone the student price in order to bring the initial price below the $500 price point. While everybody was predicting the iPad, nobody expected the prices. People were talking sub-$1000.

I expect that when next year's models are near release you will see discounts or back-to-school specials on the old model. There are discounts for academic quantity purchases.

Sorry, I think the everyone-gets-low-price thing is pure marketing/propaganda in reality this thing isn't cheap . This device has very little hardware in it. It has a processor based on 32 bit risc technology derived from Acorn's (google it) development tree, no hard drive, no physical drive, no USB port..... The hardware costs are minimal, yes it has a gorgeous display, yes it has a robust feel.... but ...

I do think it has huge potential; but I would like to evaluate it as a productivity tool; for education purposes.... I think the OS needs a file system, if for nothing else swapping document and media files across WiFi or Bluetooth.... streaming audio, pictures, transferring documents - you should't have to e-mail them...

Still I enjoyed looking at one for the first time today (in the UK), it does seem (to us Brits) expensive..

; I wonder what OS 4.0 will offer in terms of development as a productivity device, not just an entertainment iSlab...

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
This device has very little hardware in it. It has a processor based on 32 bit risc technology derived from Acorn's (google it) development tree, no hard drive, no physical drive, no USB port..... The hardware costs are minimal, yes it has a gorgeous display, yes it has a robust feel.... but ...

The cost estimates for parts alone run in the $220-300 range. There's certainly room for movement but they took a pretty big risk on this thing and priced it accordingly. There will definitely be movement downward as adoption is more widespread - possibly not until next year (they don't want to piss early adopters off like they did with the iPhone).

It all comes down to "are you getting value for your money?" My answer was yes. Times 2. My wife also has one and loves it.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Sorry, I think the everyone-gets-low-price thing is pure marketing/propaganda in reality this thing isn't [is] cheap . This device has very little hardware in it.

The people who spent years developing this aren't being paid in rice and a warm spot by the boiler. The last time you bought a book that cost more than a dollar were you outraged at being overcharged for some paper and a negligible amount of ink? The physical parts are usually the least expensive portion of developing a new product.

No doubt the future will see price reductions for a variety of reasons. But the price must be sufficient to sustain continued development. And, as Poloponies says, the volume of people buying the product suggests that many people find enough value in the product at the current price.

tlinford

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
The people who spent years developing this aren't being paid in rice and a warm spot by the boiler. The last time you bought a book that cost more than a dollar were you outraged at being overcharged for some paper and a negligible amount of ink? The physical parts are usually the least expensive portion of developing a new product.

No doubt the future will see price reductions for a variety of reasons. But the price must be sufficient to sustain continued development. And, as Poloponies says, the volume of people buying the product suggests that many people find enough value in the product at the current price.

How is this such a new product? It is using tech borrowed from older generations of devices in a new way yes, but, inherited CPU architecture, inherited OS, battery tech developed shrewdly through the MBP range... Sure developing kit is complicated (I worked in avionic design for 15 years, so I know what you're talking about).

I am a little confused by this reference to what the people in China are being paid! I am quite sure looking at Apples's incredible profits during a recession over the last few quarters, that Apple they should be paying these folk a lot more than rice.. Also, given recent reporting of suicides on the production plants, says more about North American greed and demanding expectations- and an increasing desire to dominate a market... coupled with a demand supply Frenzy has more to do with corporate greed, than it does on an individual level.

I resent that the inference that raising a question about education discounting, should be interpreted as greed - against Apple's pseudo religious marketing, increasing desire for something they don't need, that is, what; a play thing or tool? Please remember in europe, we have had increasing hype and build up for this thing. I even had my 83 year old father-in-law asking me what this iPad thingy is. I held one in my hands yesterday, and thought, no filesystem, bolted down wireless issues, and put it down. I'm not sure what my answer should be to my father-in-law?

The linking to iPhone pricing, is ridiculous, and contracts to ensure data providers, forced prices more than anything - we have been told this a a new kind of device, surly as there half that family of iPad's are WiFi, there should be no constraints on pricing?

Is this thing a toy or a productivity tool, can anyone seriously answer this question.... Where is the morality, is it with those that create desire, or those that desire?

STILL- I remain curious as to the real potential of these devices, despite the obvious problems I see....

InsiderApps

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I am a little confused by this reference to what the people in China are being paid! I am quite sure looking at Apples's incredible profits during a recession over the last few quarters, that Apple they should be paying these folk a lot more than rice.. Also, given recent reporting of suicides on the production plants, says more about North American greed and demanding expectations- and an increasing desire to dominate a market... coupled with a demand supply Frenzy has more to do with corporate greed, than it does on an individual level.

Just to add to this, Foxconn makes a hefty profit, too. It is them who pay the wages of the employees and they decide how much they want to keep out of what Apple (and other companies) buy the devices off them at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.