Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mporcheron

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I setup and use Apple Pay in the UK with first direct Credit and Debit cards. I'm currently in the US visiting, and I'm curious if other people have been able to get Apple Pay to work? I've tried everywhere and the only place it worked was an Apple Store.

Many times, I get errors on the terminal such as "Card Reader Error", "Invalid Card" and so on. A few occasions were declined, I called up first direct and they said the error was "Invalid CVC", which they didn't understand. Have others had similar problems? Is it worth me talking with Apple about this?

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
What other stores have you tried? I find that it works fine for me--but then again, I only have US issued cards.

mporcheron

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
So, I've tried all manner of stores, and all levels of transactions (e.g. at Liberty International, Levi, coffee shops).

It feels like there is something wrong with either my device, VISA, or by bank, who as per usual, have washed their hands of any responsibility with respect to Apple Pay.

Edit: …but I have absolutely no problem in the UK.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Mine worked just fine. Halifax MasterCard credit card. Cvs, trader joes, wholefoods, coffee shops etc.

neil_cm17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
United Kingdom
I did remember reading somewhere that UK Apple pay VISA cards only support the contactless EMV protocol and most of the payment terminals in the U.S. only support the older MSD protocol.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I did remember reading somewhere that UK Apple pay VISA cards only support the contactless EMV protocol and most of the payment terminals in the U.S. only support the older MSD protocol.

US Visa cards in Apple Pay are set up the same way as the UK cards though.

neil_cm17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
United Kingdom
US Visa cards in Apple Pay are set up the same way as the UK cards though.

But there are two different contactless standards EMV and MSD. The NFC hardware on the iPhone supports both methods but, because the MSD method isn't used for contactless in the UK, it hasn't been enabled by Visa for UK issued cards. We've had EMV terminals for getting on for 10 years now ever since the transition to chip and pin so if a terminal here supports contactless it will support contactless EMV where as that is not the case in the U.S.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
But there are two different contactless standards EMV and MSD. The NFC hardware on the iPhone supports both methods but, because the MSD method isn't used for contactless in the UK, it hasn't been enabled by Visa for UK issued cards. We've had EMV terminals for getting on for 10 years now ever since the transition to chip and pin so if a terminal here supports contactless it will support contactless EMV where as that is not the case in the U.S.

What I was saying is that US Visa cards in Apple Pay are EMV only in terms of what's sent out by the phone/watch. The new terminals are currently faking MSD using EMV data, which is how Apple Pay can still work. Doing "real" MSD isn't viable for Apple because Visa is mandating that support for real MSD go away from EMV-enabled terminals in about a month or so.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
What I was saying is that US Visa cards in Apple Pay are EMV only in terms of what's sent out by the phone/watch. The new terminals are currently faking MSD using EMV data, which is how Apple Pay can still work. Doing "real" MSD isn't viable for Apple because Visa is mandating that support for real MSD go away from EMV-enabled terminals in about a month or so.
How do the new terminals use fake MSD? I thought EMV was just the type of information sent and received.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.