Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Does anyone else still have a problem with the Apple $ to £ conversion, where they simply swap the symbols?

An iPhone XS in the US starts at $999 and costs £999 in the UK whilst the XS Max starts at $1099 in the US and £1099 in the UK.

At current exchange rates, $1 US is £0.76 UK so our £999 is $1310.69 US and our £1099 is $1441.89 US, that’s quite a hike that Apple are charging in the UK. If we convert the $ US price to £ UK it should be £761.43 for the XS and £837.65 for the XS Max.

Apple were quick enough to hike UK prices when the Brexit result came out, but this really is profiteering at its worst.

I’ve had many Apple products over the years, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6+ and currently an iPhone 7+, i’ve Also had an iPad, iPad 3, iPad Mini and iPad Mini 4 along with a 2010 MacBook Air and a 2011 i7 iMac, but currently wondering whether to finally show them the contempt they have for their customers and switch out of their ecosystem. Frankly quality has been hit or miss recently over both hardware and software, and this additional price “premium” in the UK just doesn’t seem worth it any more.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
1) US prices don’t include sales tax. They’re still cheaper in the US, but it’s not comparable in the way you’re looking at it.

2) $=£ has always been the case as long as I can remember and it’s the same with many other products (e.g., games consoles). Sucks but that’s the way it is.

3) Really didn’t need the whole “I’ve had many Apple products over the years” to make your point. It’s tiresome to read.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You’re not counting the VAT plus import duties plus extra other stuff that apple has to pay for to sell in the UK.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I’ve noticed a lot of this type of post recently: people who make a point of saying how they’ve had multiple Apple products over the years (and presumably have therefore been aware of these boards for a while), somehow never felt the need to post on here to get/offer advice but then just decided to join to put up a post bashing Apple’s pricing / quality. Seems kind of odd.

Reactions: akash.nu

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Unfortunately Apple aren’t the only ones who do this, Microsoft also do it with the Surface range. Brexit was nothing more then an excuse to hike prices and increase profits. The usual for a corporation.

You can swing it anyway you like, but the fact here is in the U.K., even with tax taken into account, we pay more for Apple devices then in the US. Nothing new though, their is a history of companies ripping people in the U.K. off.

Only way to make yourself feel better is to just not buy the products, because their are plenty of people who will so those prices aren’t coming down anytime soon.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Those prices include the VAT and customs. I believe import/custom is 3.5% on top of the good price, and then VAT is 20% of that subtotal. Assuming there is no additional shipping costs in there.

Somewhere around £804, plus 3.5% would be roughly £832, and 20% of that is roughly £999

£804 is roughly $1055

So not all that much difference there.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.