Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today, I discovered the network called Ovivo, that apparently costs £0 p/m for phone and tablet contracts in exchange for a few adverts popping up while browsing every now and again.

Has anyone had any experience with them? It kind of sounds too good to be true, but reviews seem fairly positive.

For tablets, they offer 750MB p/m for free: http://ovivomobile.com/offer/ovivo-for-data/

There is a £20 upfront cost, but a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I think they use Vodafone's network?

Any help would be appreciated, still haven't bought an iPad Air and this may be a factor that pushes me towards the 3G/4G model.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I use an ovivo sim in an old 64gb iPhone 4S that I mounted in my car for sat nav with live traffic and voice controlled music.

It serves it purpose well but they do sometimes spam you via email but the email is only from ovivo not randoms and it's not very often.( maybe once a month)

Email and other apps like sygic connect to the web without issues or interference.

When browsing via safari, every so often, It will redirect to an ovivo page with an image advert. You just click continue after being mildy brainwashed and then your target site loads.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I use an ovivo sim in an old 64gb iPhone 4S that I mounted in my car for sat nav with live traffic and voice controlled music.

It serves it purpose well but they do sometimes spam you via email but the email is only from ovivo not randoms and it's not very often.( maybe once a month)

Email and other apps like sygic connect to the web without issues or interference.

When browsing via safari, every so often, It will redirect to an ovivo page with an image advert. You just click continue after being mildy brainwashed and then your target site loads.

Doesn't sound that bad in regards to the adverts then. It's good that apps can connect, I was wondering if you could just browse in Safari because of the ads.

Just wondering if I'd ever use the 3G on an iPad, considering it's £100 more upfront.

Ah, decisions decisions...

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I noticed this thread on hotukdeals http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ovi...nutes-500mb-data-each-month-for-a-one-1715806 and thought it was too good to be true as well, but people seem happy with it. I was thinking of changing my iPhone to the deal in my link, i have a wifi only iPad at the moment but have been thinking about getting a cellular one, and after seeing the deal you have posted i may just get one now.

So for £40 up front i can have my iPhone and iPad covered, and no more monthly payments. I wouldn't mind hearing from other people a bit more about just how much they plague you with adverts, up to now it doesn't seen to bad from what i have read.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Doesn't sound that bad in regards to the adverts then. It's good that apps can connect, I was wondering if you could just browse in Safari because of the ads.

Just wondering if I'd ever use the 3G on an iPad, considering it's £100 more upfront.

Ah, decisions decisions...

It also has GPS.

Alternatively You could just tether to you mobile phone, or get a 3G wifi dongle for £24 from currys and whack the ovivo sim in it.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-e5332-t-mobile-payg-24-97-currys-1701555

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.