Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I've been trying to convince one of my housemates to get one of the new iMacs and well basically he's sold to the idea. We're just going to wait until its actually been proven that Windows will run on them without any problems before ordering since he still has to use several non-osx apps right now.

One thing I noticed though was that there are two different prices for the iMac in the educational store. On the front page of the store it says "The 2x faster iMac from £854 in c VAT" and below it says "New Macs featuring Intel processors, iMac from £854 inc VAT" but when you click on one of the pictures to get to the buying part the lowest price (i.e. of the 17" model) changes to £873.03 and when you go to the customising page the price again is £873.03. I'm guessing the higher price is the one they're selling at which is a little dissapointing since its only 6% off when I swear the Educational discount used to give you a good 10% off. Maybe that was only iPods though.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
yeah I noticed this too... my post is somewhere further down the forum I think :)
It's annoying, because at that lower price I think I'd get it!

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
There was a similar issue with the pricing for iLife '06. On the front page it said £49, whereas inside the store it was selling for £55.

I sent them an email (as I guess a few others did) and it has now been changed (to £55 naturally :rolleyes: ), but it looks like they've had a few consistency issues in the rush to update the store.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Kernow said:
There was a similar issue with the pricing for iLife '06. On the front page it said £49, whereas inside the store it was selling for £55.

I sent them an email (as I guess a few others did) and it has now been changed (to £55 naturally :rolleyes: ), but it looks like they've had a few consistency issues in the rush to update the store.

Should be £49. iLife '05 was £49. Apple UK seem to be putting the prices up on all the new products. The MacBook Pro and iMac are £30 more than the old ones. I started a thread bitching about this elsewhere on this forum.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
my advice is to order comps over the phone. with ed discount i got my mac cheaper than the website told me. (only 18pounds) but was worth it. Why they havent sorted out one of the most important bits of information on their system ill never know...

have fun.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Are you guys connecting to the store through your Uni LAN or from off campus? If it's the latter, I suggest you try the former as many institutions have agreements with Apple that are better than the standard edu discount.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
cal6n said:
Are you guys connecting to the store through your Uni LAN or from off campus? If it's the latter, I suggest you try the former as many institutions have agreements with Apple that are better than the standard edu discount.

Bit of both. We can get good discounts on hardware through Uni, but absolutely nothing off software, so we have to go through the general education store if we want software discounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.