Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwjpaypal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Hi all,

Just thought I would mention that there's now a way to get your watch plated in the UK other than sending it to the U.S.

The best thing is it's a same day turn around! I dropped off my watch at 9.30 and collected it at 1!!

The company is based in London, and they charge £299 for the service for the SS with any strap excluding Milanese or SS link. For those he estimates a cost of £500.

His works guaranteed and said he'll happily re do work that eventually wears out.

I'm not affiliated to this co in any way, so if you would like their details please PM me as don't want to get into trouble coming across like I'm promoting, just more for info.

I'm well happy, thought I was going to have to send half way round the world- turns out it was only 20 mins up the road!!

Thanks

David

----------

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
As per the title really, ordered my wife and I the SS watches and thinking about plating options mostly for her 38mm.

Does anyone know of any gold platers over here? I was thinking perhaps ask goldsmiths as they do excellent work but maybe this would be new to them.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I am also located in the UK and interested in this.

I don't mean to de-rail your thread at all but take a look at this.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Not de railed at all, in fact I have considers buying an 18kt brush plating kit and doing it myself. Kits can be picked up quite cheap and it doesn't look difficult however I'm not sure the thickness would be sufficient to hold up to wear and tear

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I've looked at this one before, really cheap but would need a few passes to get a decent thickness

http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Gold-and-Silver-Brush-Plating-Kits.php

BlueHorizonUK

Contributor
Oct 29, 2003
Not at that price...lol

You can get Rose Gold or Gold plating including the Milanese strap for the same price (£299) in the US including delivery both ways.

dwjpaypal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Not at that price...lol

You can get Rose Gold or Gold plating including the Milanese strap for the same price (£299) in the US including delivery both ways.

Ok, so thats in the US, and for those who have the classic, or sports straps its also the same price in the UK and its a 1 day turnaround, he can also do Rose Gold. You could post it Monday night and have it back Wednesday morning- not sure if you'd get the same service from the States?

Not really sure I'm following what the -ive is?

Thanks,

BlueHorizonUK

Contributor
Oct 29, 2003
Ok, so thats in the US, and for those who have the classic, or sports straps its also the same price in the UK and its a 1 day turnaround, he can also do Rose Gold. You could post it Monday night and have it back Wednesday morning- not sure if you'd get the same service from the States?

Not really sure I'm following what the -ive is?

Thanks,

The negative is that for me (I have the milanese) I would need to pay an extra £200 when I don't need to as it would only take 4 days from sending it from the UK to receiving it back again.

dwjpaypal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
The negative is that for me (I have the milanese) I would need to pay an extra £200 when I don't need to as it would only take 4 days from sending it from the UK to receiving it back again.

OK, fair enough. Hopefully if he can ramp up the cost might be made lower, but in the meantime the US might be a better option.

The watch looks amazing though, you'll be well happy once it's done (where ever that is). Wore it for an hour to pop to Tesco yesterday and already had a comment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.