Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
I have lots of HomeKit bulbs with a TV 4k hub. Has anyone installed a thermostat which works with HomeKit ? I mostly want to get the heating on when I'm coming home and similar stuff.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I also have Tado smart thermostats and radiator valves on every radiator in the house.....super easy to set up and not had any issues with it.

Reactions: sundialsoft

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
ps: I don't want anything that comes with an additional hub. I'm using the Apple TV and also have the IKEA hub and that's enough.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
The Tado equipment does have a hub.....but it is a tiny hub and easy to hide if you want to.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Eve doesn’t need a hub.
Does EVE have a smart thermostat ? I don't see one.
My TADO starter kit comes today so I will set up the hub then install the thermostat.
Assuming it works well with HomeKit I can do my second thermostat and consider the add-on for hot water.
They also do radiator valves so I might get one later just to have tried it out.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Does EVE have a smart thermostat ? I don't see one.
My TADO starter kit comes today so I will set up the hub then install the thermostat.
Assuming it works well with HomeKit I can do my second thermostat and consider the add-on for hot water.
They also do radiator valves so I might get one later just to have tried it out.

ahh sorry, maybe I misunderstood what you need. Eve Thermo doesn’t use a separate thermostat. The radiator control device seems to be the thermostat and control is all done through the app. Again, I don’t have eve Thermo, but do have other products which are excellent. if I had central heating in my house i'd definitely use them.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
My TADO starter kit arrived. There is an online registration and setup process.
Setup consists of powering up the hub (I used USB) and connecting to the router. Nice short cables supplied.
The guide identifies all your current heating kit and then walks through the thermostat installation.
Note: You need to be absolutely sure there is no power on to the boiler and thermostat. A voltage tester is needed.
As I didn't have a tester I powered down the whole house.
The setup gets you to label all the wires (I just had 4) then you remove the old thermostat and wire in the new one.
The TADO iPhone app works well and there is a HomeKit code on the little hub to add in to HomeKit.

So far so good. It's working away.

ps: I was able to access the system from outwith my home both in the TADO app and in HomeKit.

Last edited:
Reactions: samevansinworthi

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
@sundialsoft What was in the starter kit you bought? This system is in every room of my house and is working very well, once you've set up all the heating times and temperatures for each room it is almost a fit and forget setup. I very rarely need to look at the tado app or HomeKit for it.....think the only time I know when adjustments are needed is when winter approaches so heating comes on earlier in the day...then again alter it when winter is passed.

If the tado app was ever to add a winter & summer schedule then that would sort that out.....but I dont mind manually tweaking it as and when needed.

Also....I think you really only get the full benefit of this type of smart heating if every radiator has the Tado valve fitted, but that does get expensive.......thankfully I got my lot when they were on offer at Argos.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
@sundialsoft What was in the starter kit you bought? This system is in every room of my house and is working very well, once you've set up all the heating times and temperatures for each room it is almost a fit and forget setup. I very rarely need to look at the tado app or HomeKit for it.....think the only time I know when adjustments are needed is when winter approaches so heating comes on earlier in the day...then again alter it when winter is passed.

If the tado app was ever to add a winter & summer schedule then that would sort that out.....but I dont mind manually tweaking it as and when needed.

Also....I think you really only get the full benefit of this type of smart heating if every radiator has the Tado valve fitted, but that does get expensive.......thankfully I got my lot when they were on offer at Argos.
the little hub, it's cables, the smart thermostat and fixings plus a brief manual, QR codes to get online.

samevansinworthi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2018

Totally agree. I got mine whilst it was on offer on Amazon. I got two smart TRV’s with mine. So placed them both in the bedrooms. The thermostat will control the living room.

The best thing is, it won’t heat upstairs (our house is always hotter upstairs anyway).

Always go for the TRV’s when on offer (I got them at £34 each).

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Totally agree. I got mine whilst it was on offer on Amazon. I got two smart TRV’s with mine. So placed them both in the bedrooms. The thermostat will control the living room.

The best thing is, it won’t heat upstairs (our house is always hotter upstairs anyway).

Always go for the TRV’s when on offer (I got them at £34 each).
Our system was installed with two separate zones so upstairs can be cold while downstairs is warm.
We have a log burner for the winter so the central heating isn't always used then.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Excellent German engineering.

and standard German politeness

I'm in the US and had one of their first gen smart AC controllers (Uses IR to control a window unit)
it worked really well. Until I broke it.

shortly after I got it, they called me out of the blue to see how I liked it. I was elbows deep in something at work, they got offended that they had called from Germany, and I couldn't take time to help make a better product.

3 years later, I broke the USB port used to power it (cable got pulled, and the socket came off the board, 100% my fault, although the socket wasn't the most robust)
they had stopped selling them in the US, so I contacted support to see about fixing it.
they got angry with me "those aren't sold in the US!! where did you buy it?" They calmed down once I explained it was first gen which was sold here.

They still aren't currently selling any products in the US
I've made my own homekit AC controller with timers (using Rasberry Pi, LIRC, Homebridge if you're curious)

All that being said, I would consider one of their smart radiator valves if they ever sold here.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
I don't think they actually would have gotten angry? The Germans just sound like that. I met a German on holiday once at a bar in Ibiza. I remember he was playing chess with someone. We got to talking and when he learned I was Scottish he sad 'you have airports in schcotland?'. So it's not just the USA that knows nothing about the rest of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.