Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pajmc

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
I agree that e book prices are high but it does say on the Kindle store that unlike print books, digital books are subject to VAT. Doesn't make sense to me but it's there.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I agree that e book prices are high but it does say on the Kindle store that unlike print books, digital books are subject to VAT. Doesn't make sense to me but it's there.

Are you sure? (UK) ie International customers will pay VAT on the hardware. But I think the book prices we see on the site are the prices we pay. I don't think Amazon adds a VAT surcharge.

C.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
180% Mark up for the removal of paper.

On the front page of the iBooks store is ...
The Burning Land - by Bernard Cromwell selling for for £13.99 ($20)
In a brick-and-mortar books store. Saw the same book in paperback for £4.99

Someone, somewhere has completely missed the cluetrain.

C.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Apple are launching a service to compete with Amazon. Both readers are on the iPad. UK Users can click either icon.
Amazon chose to end run around local publisher nonsense by launching what is effectively a global store.

And Amazons dollar prices have no VAT. There is no VAT on books.

The iBook store only has a very short opportunity to put this right.

C.
The kindle store is not a global store. The available books and prices are different in the US kindle store and the international one.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Why is anyone surprised?
Movies on iTunes are more expensive than dvd's from amazon or play.com
TV shows are more expensive than box sets.
And as time goes by, the physical media gets discounted further, and a DVD you can pick up for £2.99 is still £9.99 on itunes. TV boxsets are often £10 on amazon, and £35-£40 on iTunes.

Why would iBooks be any different?

Oh, and amazon kindle ebook prices include VAT, it's not added on after or anything.

Side:
The thing I'm surprised by is all the comparion to hardbacks and hardback prices? Do people really buy only hardbacks in the USA? Most people I know always get paperback.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
The kindle store is not a global store. The available books and prices are different in the US kindle store and the international one.

I'd suggest the international Kindle store is very nearly a global one.

And with more titles and lower prices, it makes the iBooks store look very unattractive.

C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.