Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The EU forbids roaming charges.
Leaving the EU doesn't mean they have to introduce these charges, but they are now allowed to whenever they want to.
That's the consequence of Brexit.

So it's not like EE are facing costs which they need to cover (akin to a customs barrier). It's simply "we can charge, so we will". Gotcha.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Of course it is a consequence of brexit. Did you really think every effect of brexit would occur immediately on day 1?

The key question to ask yourself:
If brexit hadn’t happened, could this occur? The answer is no.

The EU checking all goods entering the single market is a concequence of Brexit and happened on day 1. I guess I was thinking "if EE now have to charge people, why didn't it happen on day 1?"

I didn't know if they don't actually have to charge people but are going to because they now can.

I wasn't really questioning whether it was Brexit related (it clearly is) but I wondered why it hadn't happened immediately, and whether it was a decision by EE or simply an automatic consequence of leaving the EU (like customs checks).

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Shhhh, they don’t like it when you remind them America saved the day.

“No they didn’t! We were doing just fine! We didn’t need your help!”
LOL, America didn’t do anything on the ground in the European theatre except stop the Soviet Union from steamrolling all the way to the Atlantic. The USSR did all of the heavy lifting in Europe and the burgers just showed up at the end for whatever reason. Probably to bomb and murder civilians or something like they always do.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
LOL, America didn’t do anything on the ground in the European theatre except stop the Soviet Union from steamrolling all the way to the Atlantic. The USSR did all of the heavy lifting in Europe and the burgers just showed up at the end for whatever reason. Probably to bomb and murder civilians or something like they always do.
This is true. In fact there was isolated incidents of fights between Soviet Union and the USA. US army went past agreed line in Europe and the Soviets pushed them right back to the previously mutually agreed position.
The Cold War started right after Stalin refused to accept US dollar as a world’s reserve currency. Stalin was ahead of its time and knew very well the true purpose and value behind the paper fiat currency.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
"We voted for" - yes, that is how democracy works. Just because you and I don't like the outcome, doesn't make it the wrong one. It's a slippery slope if you want to force an apparent "correct" choice on others.

What I do find funny is how pro-EU everyone is on here, like with the stopping of roaming charges, that is until it comes to them wanting to tax Apple in Ireland a proper amount, suddenly then they are evil meddlers.

What I hate more than anything though is the division it has caused within our own country. That has been far more cancerous and very sad.
From what I understand referendums are not legally binding (at least in the UK), so the marginal victory could have been ignored in this case. I think fundamentally we should have not acted on a goal without a plan, but that’s what we did and now we do have more freedom but so far all I’ve seen is the freedom to **** things up more and more.

For this topic specifically I’m disappointed as I spend about half my time in the EU and this is just a major regression, I’d love to see how the government could defend this.

Your last point holds true especially. I grew up in the countryside in one region that was overwhelmingly pro-brexit but spent my last 15 years in London - the two regions are so different in this respect it’s as if they’re different countries.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
You don't know that at all. The business model that T-Mobile employ may well mean that they have factored it in already in your charges.
Don't assume that because they are cheaper, (or more expensive) that they are giving you something for free.
I mean, Verizon and AT&T charge $10 per day to roam a US phone in the UK. Not sure how T-Mobile could be shoehorning that into my monthly plan that's already half the cost of a Verizon plan.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I mean, Verizon and AT&T charge $10 per day to roam a US phone in the UK. Not sure how T-Mobile could be shoehorning that into my monthly plan that's already half the cost of a Verizon plan.
Dunno. Business is a funny thing. Backhanders, above board deals and all sorts change prices all the time. Mind you AT&T and Verizon could actually be ripping you off - who knows.

Reactions: macsound1

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
These mobile companies are going to milk us subscribers at every opportunity. Brexit is a great excuse to up the prices for people living in the UK who visit Europe. I wonder how long it will take before the EU companies start charging ing their subscribers ridiculous amounts when they visit the UK?

Here in Norway there is a monopoly, though the won't admit it, to screw the prices to the limit when you are outside the EU. They do offer pathetic and expensive packages if you travel say to the US, Africa or Asia, but the best thing to do is just get hold of a local sim card and save a decent amount.

I was really frustrated in China, as my partner from New York had a subscription that gave him a lot of free data while my Norwegian company, swedish owned Telia, a real bunch of robbing outlaws, just less outlaw than the rest, had ludicrous prices. Local sim cards are definitely the way to go. I think some of these stupid executives think that most of their subscribers are unable to think for themselves or that their company they work for will just pay.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Why is that a crime? You are using scarce resources when you make or receive a call. There is a benefit to the recipient (who can choose whether to answer or not), to make calling them as painless as possible.

Caller pays can also be a reasonable option, but neither is without downsides.
The point is that people who have little money cannot even receive phone calls for free and even have to worry about that.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
The EU checking all goods entering the single market is a concequence of Brexit and happened on day 1. I guess I was thinking "if EE now have to charge people, why didn't it happen on day 1?"

I didn't know if they don't actually have to charge people but are going to because they now can.

I wasn't really questioning whether it was Brexit related (it clearly is) but I wondered why it hadn't happened immediately, and whether it was a decision by EE or simply an automatic consequence of leaving the EU (like customs checks).
Companies have been very wary of making changes that are seen as 'negative' changes that could be seen as anti-brexit. There's been a lot of very silly attitudes around the whole thing.

With regards to the impacts of Brexit there are many different types. Some that forced immediate changes, some things that are now allowed that weren't before and some things that were allowed before but no longer are.

Ae you note, the customs changes were (largely) immediate effects that happened over night. There are actually quite a number of customs changes that are being implemented over time, so even there the changes didn't all come into force as the clock struck 11pm UK time.

As for things that are now allowed that weren't before, UK mobile phone companies being allowed to charge for roaming within the EU (and presumably EU mobile cos charging fees for roaming in the UK) became allowable as soon as Brexit happened, but the impact was that it allowed companies to make the choice. It was a removal of a restriction rather than a change that mandated them to charge roaming fees. Indeed, mobile companies could charge nothing at all for any of their services if they wanted.

As for things that changes to things that were allowed before but no longer are: freedom of movement to work and live within the EU and vice versa is an obvious one that comes to mind. I wasn't living or working in the EU at the time of Brexit, but because it happened my options for living or working in the EU are significantly curtailed. That impact has yet to be felt and may simply manifest itself as me not moving to somewhere in the rest of the EU in the future when in an alternative timeline, I may well have done.

A lot of the debate around Brexit has been so moribundly stupid. At least now it is done, there is a bit of space to point out how there are immediate and longer term impacts.

Reactions: thekeyring

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
The point is that people who have little money cannot even receive phone calls for free and even have to worry about that.
In caller pays systems, the prices are adjusted accordingly - placing calls is much more expensive than in non-caller pays systems. Being able to make and receive calls for a reasonable price is much more valuable than only being able to receive calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.