Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I would die if it took 4 days lol... i've sold my PC on eBay and it is being couriered on Tuesday (ive now decided to completely switch to Mac), so I need the iBook tomorrow without fail so I can migrate all my files. Uni stuff is fairly small so I can burn that to disc, but my iTunes collection, movies etc are going to need a network connection and transfer...

I will probably call them later on today to see if it has reached Manchester... then I will know for sure...

OSX better be worth the wait!

icarusflies

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
Project said:
I would die if it took 4 days lol... i've sold my PC on eBay and it is being couriered on Tuesday (ive now decided to completely switch to Mac), so I need the iBook tomorrow without fail so I can migrate all my files. Uni stuff is fairly small so I can burn that to disc, but my iTunes collection, movies etc are going to need a network connection and transfer...

I will probably call them later on today to see if it has reached Manchester... then I will know for sure...

Could have yourself a bit of a problem with your files.
Worst case scenario put a new HD in the PC and keep your disc?
How much are you needing to transfer?

You'll find the original apple delivery estimates are pretty good. BUT it does depend how many weekends are involved - nothing ever moves over the weekend. If its in Northampton though, it will be at your local TNT depot the next day and out for delivery the day after.

I'm going though the whole process AGAIN as my ibook came with scrambled memory. Its a good idea to run the hardware check on the install CD (check instructions, its on a partition and it not obvious how to run it) when you get your ibook. I finally spotted the memory fault with the check just after the 14day DOA rule. Luckily I convinced customer services to allow me DOA (basically by accusing them of supplying faulty goods in the first place!).

I think Apple have changed their shipping slightly, as my original ibook shipping report had 'booking plane' and a 'warehouse in arnhem' etc. This time it moved really quickly from China to Amsterdam. Expecting my replacement on Tues/Weds, ordered last weekend.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Project said:
I need the iBook tomorrow without fail so I can migrate all my files.

That'a cutting a it a bit fine isn't it? Is there anyway you could back-up your files onto some DVD-Rs? Because if it doesn't come tomorrow you'll be in a bit of a jam.

Project said:

Take it from me, as a switcher from about a year and a half ago. It is worth it :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Thanks for the tip about the hardware check... i'll definitely look into it...

I dont have a DVD burner unfortunately, and the purchase of the iBook has left me with about 12pence in my bank, so buying one or a HD is out of the question.

I just realised I still have my iPod though... My iTunes collection was around 22gb last week but I converted most of my tracks to AAC and shaved a good 5gb, so I can fit all of my tracks onto my 20gb iPod via disk mode.
All of the smaller files I can zip and send them to yousendit.com, as I think you can send up to a gigabyte of data on that thing and it saves it for 7 days.

So I should definitely be ok with the file migration. Phew.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
26 Sep 2005 02:58 Manchester Import Received
24 Sep 2005 19:21 Northampton Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
23 Sep 2005 18:06 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
20 Sep 2005 20:11 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot
19 Sep 2005 19:18 Suzhou Consignment Received At Transit Point

:D :D YESSSSSSSSS!!!

area

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
I plead ignorance; I've never ordered anything before from the Apple store. From the apecode site, my running order status is below:

26 sep 05 30 10 departed direct CNSHA50 27 sep 05
25 sep 05 40 69 accept scanned at EDC NLAMS07 29 sep 05
25 sep 05 40 60 Arrived at EDC NLAMS07 28 sep 05
23 sep 05 86 14 booking slot obtained KN Luxemburg
22 sep 05 32 55 flight departed Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
22 sep 05 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
21 sep 05 30 63 handover at supplier CNSHA50
21 sep 05 00 04 Picking confirmed, EDI received CNSHA50
21 sep 05 30 61 Consignment Booking received from supplier CNSHA50 29 sep 05

My main concern is the item at the top - i.e. the most recent. To me - at least - it looks like it's been shipped back to China, which I find hard to believe. Have I missed something obvious?

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Some thing similar happened to me, but I'm sure its ok. I suggest phoning TNT and asking them about it, and they should have a delivery date for you.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Yep call up TNT. Theyve been very good to me, especially after seeing this:

26 Sep 2005 10:00 Manchester Routing Error - Potential Delay

I just called them up and they said it will be with me tomorrow. I said I reaaally need it tonight (I cant help it. its like being told to wait til Boxing Day to open up your presents), and could I pick it up from Trafford Park. She said cool, so im going in about 30 minutes to get it.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Project said:
...im going in about 30 minutes to get it.
So did you get it and is it everything you hoped for? And did you **** yourself when the TNT security guard asked you to sign a waiver saying that if you got fried on the electric fence then it was your own stupid fault?

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Man, f**k TNT!!!

I managed to get my dad to take me up there, and was told to write down the consignment number and one of the guys will go to get the package.

So we're waiting in the car for about 20minutes, then the guy comes back and the conversation goes like this:

"The package isnt here. Call back tomorrow"

"What? I just called you guys like an hour ago and said it wouldnt be delivered today but I can pick it up from this depot"

"It aint here. You will have to call us up in the morning"

"Why would I do that, when I ALREADY called you up at least 3 times today, with the last one just an hour ago? You guys said it was here and i've come to pick it up. I even checked the online tracking and it said it arrived in Manchester in the early hours of the morning"

"Well there is lots of depots in Manchester. Could be in Bredbury for instance"

"So why when I asked you where it is so I could pick it up, you said to come here to the Trafford Park depot?

"I dont know... we dont have contact with customer services"

So at this point I was incredibly p!ssed off, having made my dad drive to my house and then all the way there, as well as waitiing around for them to get it. I told the guy Id come back tomorrow and started to drive off. I stopped my dad about half a mile away, and decided to call up TNT again...

"Hi. I have a package at the depot in Trafford Park - you guys said it was there and I could pick it up anytime before 7.30pm, can you see whats going on... my consignment number is. xxxxxxx"

"ok, yes thats definitely at Trafford Park... arrived at 2.58am this morning. The people there have the exact same system as us so will see exactly the same information I have"

"Right... can you hold on while I go back and you can speak to them?"

So we drove back there and she basically told the security guard what she told me. And he sent his little minion back to check for the package.

So we was waiting another 20 minutes, when we seen some other guy come towards the car.... he said..

"Unfortunately we are unable to locate your package at the moment... its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Will you be in tomorrow?"

So I reluctantly agreed to wait until tomorrow...

Which brings me to now. I have just gone online to check the tracking, and all sorts of crazy stuff is appearing:

Its saying status is "exception", and it also has a new entry on the tracking system:

26 Sep 2005 10:00 Manchester Routing Error - Potential Delay

So now im feeling even more fed up, and just called TNT 5 minutes ago. They say there is a note on the account saying "incorrect airport". He's logged an enquiry and marked it as urgent, and said id get a call tomorrow. He couldnt offer any more information though.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!?!!!?

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
This is terrible for you. I can't understand how it could get lost. I just checked the outside box of the iBook that I got recently and there is a big MAN on the label under local hub, and then a smaller but still large MAN 17 then GB GREAT BRITAIN in slightly smaller print in the destination section. There is absolutely no reason for it to get lost, where else could it go? When they said it was like looking for a needle in a haystack do they mean there are thousands of Apple computers there waiting for delivery.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Not necessarily other Macs, just lots of other stuff in the warehouse...

It led me to believe that the packages in the warehouse are not in any kind of order in regards to the consignment numbers.

However, there was 2 or 3 people before me who came to pick up packages and the dude got their things to them quite quickly, so it MUST be in order. Which is what really worries me, as it must be missing.

I just hope they can resolve it and get me the iBook here by 12 tomorrow. If they do that, then I wouldnt mind, but I have the feeling that something is up.. .what is that "incorrect airport" all about? The fact the tracking states that it was received in Manchester last night means it MUST be there somewhere. I felt like just going in and searching for the package myself.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Unfortunately TNT have a reputation for being stupid, personally I haven't had any major problems, but there has been stories of crazy things at their various depots.

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Do you get the feeling that your iBook is developing a personality. It seems to be lost or on some sort of adventure. I'm sure you will have fun with this naughty boy when he turns up.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
haha something like that. It isnt the fact that its delayed. You kind of expect that for deliveries. Its just the whole confusion in that nobody seems to know where it is. I used my entire wages for the month to buy it when I got paid on the 18th, so its a big deal for me, especially as a student who has just started back and has zero pennies to his name.

Im not going to buy a Mac using the online store again because of this. Its too much messing about. They are building a retail store at the Trafford Centre which should be open soon, so that will be my first port of call as you should be able to get the student discount still.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Project said:
Im not going to buy a Mac using the online store again because of this. Its too much messing about. They are building a retail store at the Trafford Centre which should be open soon, so that will be my first port of call as you should be able to get the student discount still.

The only disadvantage to buying in-store is the lack of BTO options, as far as I know, you have to settle for the base models.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Some of the stores have some other configurations there. Not many, but the odd one. It is a disadvantage though. I intend to get an Intel Powerbook in a years time and the stock models usually have too little HD space. Could be a stumbling block.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Project said:
Some of the stores have some other configurations there. Not many, but the odd one. It is a disadvantage though. I intend to get an Intel Powerbook in a years time and the stock models usually have too little HD space. Could be a stumbling block.

Regarding the Powerbook, same here, I'm going to get one when I start Uni next year. Thinking about it now though, you could probably ask someone at the apple store to order one of a specific configuration, for you, I'm not 100% sure though. :confused:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
rose red said:
...I can't understand how it could get lost...

It might've been stolen, happens all the time to stuff in transit especially if it's easy to sell on and in very obvious packaging like Apple stuff.

Where's that old thread of mine? TNT 'lost'(customer service admitted they were 'losing' a lot of iPods at the time, Christmas) a friend's iPod and he got
£70 compensation on a £186 iPod 'cause he had to wait another few days! looks like you hit the jackpot! :D

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Hmm that really has messed up my head now, lol. I mean, iPods I guess are quite easy to steal by employees as theyre small. A large brown box may be a different matter though. And I thought Apple sent them out unmarked Or am I mistaken?

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Well, it does say the sender is maintek computers with an address in China, in small print but the same size as your name and address. No mention of Apple anywhere. But when my replacement iBook was delivered the man said it was another Apple computer for me. Its the "incorrect airport" that's odd. Anyway, good luck tomorrow. I'm really enjoying this computer, I wasn't put off by the problems I had with the first one.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Well, its here!

Been playing with it for an hour or so, and its so cool to use.

Only problem is, I cant seem to be able to connect to the net via my adsl usb modem. I installed it using the TalkTalk disc, but for some reason it doesnt seem to detect my modem when I plug it in, and doesnt configure it as an available option in the network settings. Any ideas?

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
USB modems + Macs = No

A lot of them have drivers that will only work properly with Windows. Has you modem got an ethernet port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.