Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The problem is that it can be very hard to regulate an industry to increase competition. Simple sounding solutions can have counterintuitive results. The idea of forcing each phone manufacturer to make their own OS is likely to just end up with fewer phone manufacturers reducing competition in the hardware space.
We don’t seem to be bothered about the counterintuitive results of the regulations that have been proposed so far, so I don’t think that should be a concern.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Plus, IIRC, they forced PC makers to make it the default browser, which is different from building your own device and installing your own software as the default.
And that’s on top of forcing PC makers to pay for a windows license on EVERY computer they shipped that COULD run windows EVEN IF IT DIDN’T SHIP TO THE CUSTOMER WITH WINDOWS INSTALLED.

There’s a lack of understanding of what’s “anti-competitive”. Apple hasn’t bought out Android hardware makers then shut down the companies. They have not forced developers to broadly sign anti-compete clauses such that apps released on iOS can’t be released elsewhere. They’ve just “made a thing that they hope people want to buy and then put it on the market”. Nevertheless, there are those that feel Apple “making things they hope people want to buy” is Apple being anti-competitive. :)

Reactions: I7guy and jlc1978

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Wait , do you really think they need you to instal a browser to get this info?
all They need is your online footprint, and analytics on what content you like and dislike.
They don’t have to install a browser, it’s already there. :) And for those logged in to social media services at ALL times, yeah, they’ve got a lot of information on those folks. Thing is, they ALSO had a lot of information of folks that were NOT logged in to any social media accounts (as companies were using cross-site tracking technology to MUCH financial benefit without users knowledge). That avenue’s been cut, some of those German companies are seeing a drop in revenue and are taking action. (if those companies were NOT affected, this wouldn’t be an issue, so it can be said that Apple were quite effective!)

Reactions: 1284814

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
They don’t have to install a browser, it’s already there. :) And for those logged in to social media services at ALL times, yeah, they’ve got a lot of information on those folks. Thing is, they ALSO had a lot of information of folks that were NOT logged in to any social media accounts (as companies were using cross-site tracking technology to MUCH financial benefit without users knowledge). That avenue’s been cut, some of those German companies are seeing a drop in revenue and are taking action. (if those companies were NOT affected, this wouldn’t be an issue, so it can be said that Apple were quite effective!)
i see what you mean, however Apple should not be able to lockdown my hardware. i Should be able to install a real chromium on iOS .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.