Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
I have just pulled the trigger on 2 x iPad Air from John Lewis. Treating my parents to replacements for their ageing iPads this Christmas. For a few months now, I have had the 10th gen regular iPad in mind as what I would buy them. Was expecting the 10th gen iPad to be more expensive than the 9th gen, but was not expecting it to be £499.

My initial reaction when seeing the £499 price tag was ‘wow, I will get the Air at £569’ instead (planned to buy from Apple), then noticed the price of the Air via Apple was £669 😲. Luckily a quick check on John Lewis and Amazon confirmed that they still had stock of the Air at £569, so pushed the boat out and grabbed the Air whilst I could at £569.

Will be interesting to see how long the Air will be on sale at £569 from retailers other than Apple (John Lewis only had 7 x Space Grey in stock when I ordered). And who knows what kind of offers will be around come Black Friday. Maybe I was too hasty, but I just did not want to regret missing what could be the final chance to get the Air at £569. Could have accepted a price tag of £400 for the 10th gen iPad, but at £569 for the Air (vs £499 for the 10th gen), I figured the £70 premium was worth it, plus, I was not overly keen on the colours for the 10th gen….I wanted Starlight and Space Grey, which is what I managed to get on the 2 x Air

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
On Amazon UK, the iPad Air 5's are £569 also. I suspect Amazon will keep it at that price (maybe increase it slightly on certain days), but show it as % discount from the new RRP £669. We just have to be savvy now in the UK, and not buy direct from Apple, but third party retailers on discount.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I hope John Lewis honour your orders rather than cancelling them and trying to force you to rebuy at the new price. They bought the stock at the old price so it would be greedy to try and sell it at the new.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think it's pretty clear that most UK retailers will increase their prices in the next 24 h, but honor any existing orders at the original price. Apple will surely start charging them the higher wholesale cost from tomorrow.

Also, don't expect any Black Friday / Xmas sales to get the price down as far as it is currently.

Price NOW at JL/Amazon: £569
Likely price tomororw: £669
Likely best 'sale' price in future: £599

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
For 256GB, Argos still have it at £719. Amazon also have all colours apart from space gray at £719, but space gray has gone up to £849. I wasn't going to get a new iPad so soon as I have Air 3 but I think I'll bite the bullet and get it at Argos today, I can't swallow an extra £130. I can also redeem £100 of Nectar points so will take it down to £619.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.