Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Yea, I know this comes up after every Apple event and I know it is only £30 difference, but why are the new machines more expensive than the old ones in the UK store?

iMac G5 / iMac Core Duo 17" (US): $1299.

Multiply by 0.66 to convert to UK:857.34

Okay, so they add just under 5% to cover localisation costs (UK keyboard, UK power supply, etc). Makes £899 for the iMac G5. So why are UK customers being penalised an extra £30 for the iMac Core Duo? Given that Steve Jobs (and therefore many the journalists) are reporting that the new machines are the same price, it is very misleading.

Let's look at the PowerBook G4 (15") / MacBook Pro (US): $1999

Multiply by 0.66: 1319.34

Apple add just over 6% to cover localisation costs. Makes $1399 for the PowerBook G4. Again, the MacBook Pro is £30 more at £1429. Again Apple should not be claiming that the MacBook is the same price.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Because the UK prices also have VAT factored in while the US ones don't include the state sales tax.

I agree that it's frustrating that the major headline is 'for the same price' while they've both gone up by £30. I guess the company making the number 3 key put their prices up. :p

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Unfortunately the prices in the UK are a lot more expensive than in the states. I am planning on getting a G4 powerbook for my dad and over there they are about $300 more at least.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The original G5 iMacs were £929 when they first came out and dropped to £899 not all that long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.