Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Just wondering what data plans people are using in the UK for their iPad? I guess its a bit of a moot point when we're all stuck at home, but to be honest, it would take a bit of the strain off my broadband as I need to VPN in to client networks every day.

I’m with EE just now so can get a sim-only deal of 100GB per month for £18.00. I think 100GB is way too much for my needs, but the price doesn’t seem too bad.

What other providers and deals have you guys & girls got?

Thanks!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Just wondering what data plans people are using in the UK for their iPad? I guess its a bit of a moot point when we're all stuck at home, but to be honest, it would take a bit of the strain off my broadband as I need to VPN in to client networks every day.

I’m with EE just now so can get a sim-only deal of 100GB per month for £18.00. I think 100GB is way too much for my needs, but the price doesn’t seem too bad.

Thanks!
A friend of mine over in the UK uses Vodafone. She found a good cellular deal for her new iPad mini, but I don't remember the full details. I'll have to ask her at some point and see if she remembers how good the deal was.

Reactions: ascender

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
What networks offer the best performance (speeds, traffic shaping etc) in the area you’ll be using your iPad the most?

I have unlimited with 3, so I tend to tether my iPhone for the purpose if I need to use the internet on the iPad.

Remember, there’s also a latency question when using the mobile network as opposed to your home WiFi.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
We have pretty good coverage here from most carriers and most of the work I do is in the city.

Our home broadband is pretty rubbish so I suspect it will be much faster!

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
We have pretty good coverage here from most carriers and most of the work I do is in the city.

Our home broadband is pretty rubbish so I suspect it will be much faster!

Try going with EE, see how they are. I’ve only heard good things about them!

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
iPad Air 2019 on EE 20GB plan with one of their add-ons for international roaming (ah, the good old days).

Worked a treat here at home, switches nicely when I'm out of the house and when I'm carrying the P3XL instead of the iPhone 11, although I tend not to tether to the iPhone any more.

Signal's great pretty much everywhere unless I'm out in the boonies, but then it's difficult to get signal on a lot of networks in those cases (areas of Kielder/Northumberland and way up Sutherland and NW Scotland).

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I went with Three as I liked their 'Go Binge' and 'Go Roan' features - although I think other networks have caught up on the overseas stuff since. I also found Three offered better rates and special offers on their phone plans than on their data plans, so waited for an offer to come around and picked up a phone SIM. Was worried it would get cut off, but still working fine over a year later.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I went with Three as I liked their 'Go Binge' and 'Go Roan' features - although I think other networks have caught up on the overseas stuff since. I also found Three offered better rates and special offers on their phone plans than on their data plans, so waited for an offer to come around and picked up a phone SIM. Was worried it would get cut off, but still working fine over a year later.

If you're in London, be prepared for mediocre speeds

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I just tether to my phone. I get unlimited data on EE so don't see the point paying for a second line when tethering works well enough.

If you're outside of London, 3 will offer the best deals, but as above, if you're anywhere near London, avoid them like the plague.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
If you're in London, be prepared for mediocre speeds

I am in London, but have found the speeds to be fine - I have O2 on my phone and through work and find that has worse reliability and bigger black spots these days (it used to be great). I think this depends a bit on which part of town you are in.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I am in London, but have found the speeds to be fine - I have O2 on my phone and through work and find that has worse reliability and bigger black spots these days (it used to be great). I think this depends a bit on which part of town you are in.
Whereabouts are you and what speeds do you get?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I have a 3 unlimited SIM card which I put in my iPad when I need data for long periods or just hotspot off phone for short periods. I find EE hit and miss Vodafone is amazing when I can get it.
three is average but works work and I consistently get it to work.

Openworld1234

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2019

Thanks!
Cheapest go with smarty sim payandgo they do 100gb for £15 one month you decided not to use any data go to the lowest package for £6.00 1gb data or even better cancel the plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.