Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Hi guys

I am in the UK and hoping to move to NY in september. I was initially appalled by the new tariffs by AT&T but I just logged in to my UK account and I use no more than 500 mb per month.

In my opinion 2 gb is fair and it will stop people abusing the system.

It will also save 5 dollars a month.

On a side note does anyone know if a UK citizen can start an iPhone contract as I am guessing it will be hard to pass credit checks etc if you are from the UK...

Best

Aaron :apple:

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
As with everything else the vocal majority is actually a minority... AT&T are probably actually going to be saving 98%+ of users money ... i used my iDevices pretty hard and still tend to be under a gig a month or so...

I do get supposedly 'unlimited' data in the UK on O2 but i don't need it and generally if they offered me a tariff that was £5/month cheaper and restricted me to even a 1Gb cap (with reasonable over-limit charges) then i'd be happy

Yes i'm sure losing unlimited for some will be difficult but networks are playing the big numbers and they'll probably work out better for most

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
As with everything else the vocal majority is actually a minority... AT&T are probably actually going to be saving 98%+ of users money ... i used my iDevices pretty hard and still tend to be under a gig a month or so...

I do get supposedly 'unlimited' data in the UK on O2 but i don't need it and generally if they offered me a tariff that was £5/month cheaper and restricted me to even a 1Gb cap (with reasonable over-limit charges) then i'd be happy

Yes i'm sure losing unlimited for some will be difficult but networks are playing the big numbers and they'll probably work out better for most

Have to agree with this. I have unlimited 02 aswell and rarly get over 1 GB (admitedly i am currently using a 1st gen iphone but i use it online alot!) I think people jst like hearing Unlimited in the deal, means you dnt have to think about how much ur using.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
In all honesty anyone that's using more than 2Gb of data over 3G is probably taking the proverbial anyway. As the poster above me said, the vocal majority isn't anything of the sort, it's the handful of geeks that take the mick, at least for the most part.

The simple fact is this: 3G networks are over-subscribed and the room to expand them is limited. There's only so much infastructure a single location can accomodate after all. The switch to 4G will help but in the meantime the harsh reality is a VERY small minority are chewing up far more data than the average and it's only fair that they pay for that use.

The irony in all this is that most people will in fact be better off as they won't get close to that 2Gb and be able to save money. But if you read the geek community forums and blogs it's the end of the world. Again.

Now if you want to focus on something that's VERY unfair the extra $20 for tethering that doesn't get you any additional data is ludicrous on a whole new scale. If people want to complain that's really were the anger should be focused IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.