Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Granted, I've taken the short-bus to school, but this seems like a great idea to me.

Iphone Will have a form of GPS, A Map Program, and Likely a Task List of some sort.

Wouldn't it be terrific to intergrate these? Create tasks that automatically alert you when you're in the area. No more getting home and realizing you've forgotten to do something.

Task: "Pick up Clothes @ Dry-Cleaners" --- When you're zipping down the road after work, the GPS registers the location, and you get an alert with the task, and best route to get there.

I would kill to have this feature in my Iphone.

Think this idea is worth anything? Or should I just put my helmet back on and shut up for the duration of the ride? I would love for Apple to do this.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You'll have to wait for a future product upgrade...the iPhone doesn't have GPS (at least not yet).

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
But they do!!!

Crude as it may be, all phones have a form of GPS. Cell towers are in known locations, and by caculating "Ping-Times" between towers, a phone can triangulate its poisition. It might not be as accurate as a satellite based system, but certinally accurate enough to nag you to hit the grocery store on the way home.

I think it's actually required by law to have some sort of "E-911" system in a phone now. (that works with the towers) I know it's at least mandatory for CDMA phones - I'm unsure of GSM though.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Geo-Tagging is the Name of the Game.

There is already a decent rumor saying the iPhone will support geo-tagging for the pics snapped with its built-in 2.0MP camera if and when it finally gets GPS. Once you start down that road, geo-tagging To-Do items seems pretty logical.

The iPod generated a swarm of "iPod Dock Accessories", so why should we doubt that the iPhone won't get its own custom "Dock Accessories" as well, including GPS?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
I thought this thread had died. It was just moved. Nice.

If the man wants to track you down, he already has the means... At least this way, he'll know what you're doing at the time. :)

I would love for the iphone to have geo features, especially the to-do list. I have the attention span of a gold fish, and that could save my @$$ on many occasions.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
input device

I wish someone would create an application that would let an iphone be used as an alternate input device for a mac or a macbook pro/ macbook, while its sitting there being charged and basically doing nothing. you would just need a small plastic cradle to support the iphone and to keep it from sliding around.

An example would be a context sensitive menu for a photoshop task, or sliders for garageband.

tom

ZachBrock

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Granted, I've taken the short-bus to school, but this seems like a great idea to me.

Iphone Will have a form of GPS, A Map Program, and Likely a Task List of some sort.

Wouldn't it be terrific to intergrate these? Create tasks that automatically alert you when you're in the area. No more getting home and realizing you've forgotten to do something.

Task: "Pick up Clothes @ Dry-Cleaners" --- When you're zipping down the road after work, the GPS registers the location, and you get an alert with the task, and best route to get there.

I would kill to have this feature in my Iphone.

Think this idea is worth anything? Or should I just put my helmet back on and shut up for the duration of the ride? I would love for Apple to do this.

Yeah! That does sound great! Too bad the iphone doesn't have GPS or a task list...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.