Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndaisley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Hi there,
I have just taken delivery of a nice cheap B&W G3, and in accordance with my usual practice I immediately started shoving disks & RAM into it.

Now, this 'server' model came with exactly its original spec as per label - 450mhz, a SCSI system with a 9gig disk, 256meg RAM etc. I am finding that it does not recognise anything I stick into the 'ultra-ATA' interface on the system board (yes, I've tried different ribbon cables as well as different disks, and the power lead works!). No error messages arise, and the System Profiler does show an ATA bus, but it resolutely cannot see anything I plug in there.

Does anyone know if in fact these machines, originally kitted out with SCSI, actually disable the Ultra-ATA interface in some way, and is there a way of revitalising it? Or perhaps this is just a broken one - no sign that anything was ever previously plugged in there.

There are no hardware switches or jumpers on the top of the system board but perhaps one underneath? The other IDE bus which drives the CD works fine, and I can put disks on there, but they will not (I think) achieve their best speed that way. This is a 'revision 2' ATA system.

Many thanks for anyone who can help on this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.