Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Ok I’m not into extreme sports, but hit the gym every day. I’m wondering what the best band option for Apple Watch Ultra would be for day to day comfort and use.
I don’t like the look of the ocean band by the way.

Would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Ah, too bad that you don't like the look of the Ocean band, because to me that is the most aesthetically pleasing of the bands made by Apple for the Ultra. If you don't like that, I think the Alpine Loop is the next best option. I think it is actually more comfortable than the Ocean Loop but not as visually pleasing.

Edit: I'll add that I think the trail loop is probably just as comfortable as the Alpine loop, but I think it visually looks uglier because it reminds me of a cheap velcro strap :)

Last edited:
Reactions: richxps and MarkX

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Let me also add that there's an advantage to the Ocean Loop over the Alpine loop. The Ocean loop doesn't absorb water simply because it's silicone. The Alpine loop is fabric and does trap water (sweat) as you exercise. I don't have a trail loop but it would be similar. I have the sports loop which I think is just like the trail loop.

If you don't mind wearing a slightly damp band (e.g., due to sweating from exercising), then you're fine.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
Ok I’m not into extreme sports, but hit the gym every day. I’m wondering what the best band option for Apple Watch Ultra would be for day to day comfort and use.

I'm also not into extreme sports, but I go to the gym 6 days a week. For me, the nike sport bands are the best. My ultra basically lives in the nike sport band. The holes in the band make it extremely breathable, especially when working out. Then after a workout where I was sweating a lot, I just take the watch off and rinse the band underneath a light stream of water, looks good as new.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
yeah I’m just not keen on the look of the ocean band, as I said I’m planning to use the watch for casual use.

However the alpine loop intrigues me but I’ve heard that it notoriously difficult to put on / off / adjust and that the titanium hook scratches anything it touches. Is that true?

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
alpine loop intrigues me but I’ve heard that it notoriously difficult to put on / off / adjust and that the titanium hook scratches anything it touches. Is that true?
It’s not as easy to put on or take off as other bands (like the trail loop), but I wouldn’t call it difficult either. I haven’t scratched anything with the hook, but I also take care not to let it scrape the watch case, and I don’t rest my wrists on my MacBook Air when I type.

Of the two Ultra bands you’re considering, I think the trail loop is more comfortable than the alpine loop. But the alpine loop is definitely more secure; that thing isn’t coming off unless you really want it to.

If you care about having a band that looks good outside of the gym, there are many options out there. Personally I lean toward the original leather loop, the Milanese loop, Apple’s link bracelet, or a third-party titanium bracelet.

Reactions: darthbane2k

tucogovinda

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
In and around the D.
+1 for the Alpine Loop – my personal favorite (I have all 3 OG Alpine Loops). They’re extremely comfortable, surprisingly light, and incredibly secure. They look appropriately rugged for the Ultra yet work in all but the dressiest of occasions.

It does take a few tries to get used to taking the watch on and off with an Alpine Loop – it’s not as natural as Velcro-ing a Trail/Sport Loop, after all! – but once you get the hang of arcing the G-hook into the loop you want, it becomes very easy to repeat.

Finally, I think a lot of people here freaked out last year when the Ultra first came out because they assumed the Ultra case would be scratched by the G-hook (as well as scratching their MacBooks). Yet, I’ve never experienced this and I’ve never really seen any evidence of it actually happening either.

Hope something here helps.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
I'm also not into extreme sports, but I go to the gym 6 days a week. For me, the nike sport bands are the best. My ultra basically lives in the nike sport band. The holes in the band make it extremely breathable, especially when working out. Then after a workout where I was sweating a lot, I just take the watch off and rinse the band underneath a light stream of water, looks good as new.
Right there w/ ya, never took the Alpine loop out of the box as I've worn 1 of my 6 Nike sport loop bands since the AWU arrival right after launch day.

• Love
Reactions: Djones96

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Personally not a fan of the alpine loop in my mind I'm always an in-between loop sizes it's either a bit snug or a bit loose, I've had lots of the sport bands and not had this issue.

The trail loop has become my go to daily driver but I frequently change out for my old sport bands (especially at work - I work as a clinical physiologist and wear my watch in-between patients - have to be bare below the elbow when interacting with patients - and having a wipe clean strap is a big bonus infection prevention wise).

Reactions: darthbane2k

Panther61

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
MD
Black ocean band. A challenge to put on my wrist but once on very comfortable and light weight.

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
I have several of all three, the Alpine Loop, the Trail Loop and the Ocean Band. The Trail Loop is the most comfortable, but not quite 100% secure, and the Alpine Loop is kind of in between with regards to comfort and security. The Ocean Band is very secure, but not quite as comfortable as the Alpine Loop or Trail Loop. What the Ocean Band has going for it is that it sheds sweat, water and grime. It’s the only band I have that doesn’t get funky over time. My original Alpine Loop and Trail loop look terrible and smell funky even though I put them through the wash frequently. My original Ocean Bands all look new. When I am out on the water or trail, I usually wear an ocean band. For casual wear I usually wear the Trail Loop or Alpine Loop.

Reactions: msackey

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Honestly I'm not much of a fan of any of the Ultra bands. I use a Nike sport band for workouts, alternate between a couple of regular sport bands on nights and weekends and use a Nomad leather band during the work week. Every once in a while I'll pull out the alpine loop that came with my watch, but I end up usually just putting it back. Not really for me I suppose. The ocean bands just seem way too bulky to me. Watch already occupies enough space & weight on its own, so I like the bands to be light.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia

I've got a knock off ocean band that I use for the gym. It's secure, sweat-proof and comfortable so ticks all those boxes for me. Otherwise I use a nomad sport strap or Alpine loop for daily wear.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England
I went with Ocean simply because:
- I gym lots so it will get sweaty and I’d be worried about a fabric one getting smelly. I had an old Animal watch years ago and it stank!
- I go swimming a lot too, often after the gym, so it would obvs be getting very wet, very often.
- I just LOVE the orange so it was an easy choice to make!

I realise this doesn’t help you since you stated you weren’t into the Ocean band! Sorry!

Reactions: msackey

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Just got my AWU2 with the Olive alpine band - small. Of all the watches I’ve worn, the small alpine loop fits the absolute best. This is the first band including on the Series watches where the hook or clasp actually sits close to the center of my arm.

Most including the Nike sports loop, the end is almost next to the watch. So I definitely have a small wrist but the U2 looks good on my wrist.

Does anyone know of a good 3rd party band which fits a smaller wrist for the Ultra 2. Many bands on Amazon are always a bit too big.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 220

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
You may want to get a medium so the clasp sits higher. This is for two reasons. Firstly having it higher greatly reduces the risk of the hook scratching a laptop and also the hook itself from damage.
Secondly, it's much, much easier to remove and stops the hook from hitting the watch casing. Mine is attached on the forth loop from the end and is just right for no clacking on my MacBook and allows me plenty of length to remove easy whilst keeping away from the watch.

I liked the look of the Alpine Loops when the first gen Ultra came but didn't like any of the colours. Then the Ultra 2 came and I got mine with the blue Alpine Loop and absolutely loved it and soon after got it in Indigo. Got the Olive on the way as we speak.

Reactions: msackey and whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
You may want to get a medium so the clasp sits higher. This is for two reasons. Firstly having it higher greatly reduces the risk of the hook scratching a laptop and also the hook itself from damage.
Secondly, it's much, much easier to remove and stops the hook from hitting the watch casing. Mine is attached on the forth loop from the end and is just right for no clacking on my MacBook and allows me plenty of length to remove easy whilst keeping away from the watch.

I liked the look of the Alpine Loops when the first gen Ultra came but didn't like any of the colours. Then the Ultra 2 came and I got mine with the blue Alpine Loop and absolutely loved it and soon after got it in Indigo. Got the Olive on the way as we speak.
You make some good points. My small hook is in the 5th loop from the watch top so it shouldn’t interfere with anything. Next time at the Apple Store I will try a medium to see the difference. I plan to get the indigo for Xmas gift as the Blue is not so exciting for me. Just wish the Amazon bands could fit as nicely.

Reactions: Pug72

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have an olive Alpine and a blue Ocean. Both are quite nice. In summer I need to go synthetic, so probably Ocean or perhaps a Nomad sport. The Ocean is surprisingly comfortable, but I wish it had an olive type color option. The Alpine is nice too. Both are unique, which is kind of fun.

Another option that looks good to me and is comfortable on a day-to-day is the woven band from Apple. Again, I don't plan on getting this wet, but for other uses it's nice. I do suggest going to an Apple store for this one so you can try on from their display to get the best fit.

IMG_7543.JPG

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have all the old 42-45mm bands and also the Ocean and Alpine bands for Ultra.

More than anything I've been wearing a Nike sport band with the holes. Blue Orbit/Gamma Blue I think? It's one of my old favs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.