Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultra vs Stainless Steel S7/S8

• Total voters

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Needing this thread to talk it out with Apple watch enthusiasts.

I said I wouldn't be back after the death of my SS S0, but I'm wanting an Apple watch again. My 7 Plus has finally kicked the bucket and I've been forced to an iPhone 11 (long story, PWM issues, won't repeat here) but surprisingly it's actually pretty good and I'm excited once again for newer Apple tech (new to me).

So I've been to the Apple store and have tried on the Ultra and SS Series 8. I'm a big fan of the steel link bracelet and still have an old one with my Series 0 (but it's stretched out a lot and is very shiny due to polishing, so might need a new one).

My watch is for desk diving only and I will pay for the best materials for looks and durability. Battery life isn't a big concern as I will charge every night along with my phone.

My wrist can pull off the Ultra and I'm drawn to its size and industrial look but I have strong concerns over its durability against dents and scuffs having seen some photos of such damage (especially around the raised bezel) - I'm prone to hitting my wrist on desk and door edges, this is why I need sapphire. It looks like the bezel dents a little too easily as it's a hard edge. The store didn't have the link bracelet to try with the Ultra so I don't know if they pair well looks-wise. I can't help but think the Ultra straps are far too expensive for what they are.

The Series 8 should have been the easy choice but looked a little small and feminine when compared to my Series 0 due to the curved glass and rounded case style, especially after wearing the Ultra. My S0 looks a little more industrial due to its rectangular design. But with the SS I know I can polish out scuffs and scratches easily and with the rounded design, any hits on hard edges will likely glide. It also blends seamlessly with the SS link bracelet and my favourite watch to date was my SS S0 for comfort and features.

Looking at Amazon I can see the S7 SS is £200 less than the S8 and I'm reading the consensus is leaning towards there being little difference between the S7 and S8. Do I save some money today but lose a year of updates later?

This has me thinking the standard AW might be the smarter ruled-by-the-head choice over the ruled-by-heart Ultra. Second guessing myself over the Ultra because it is a new design so it might just be this that is drawing me, and even though it is titanium, once marked it will likely stay this way. The S7/8 is the standard so I shouldn't have regrets buying one, even if placing the order with an SS link bracelet puts it over the cost of the Ultra, I'm just not sure I really like the look.

I have options and cannot decide. Any thoughts to help me along?

Last edited:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Unless you care for crash detection or need to check your menstrual cycle, your choices should only be the series 7 or Ultra. There is no change between the 7 or 8 except for those two features.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
TLDR: I tried to include as much information below about my choice (which wasn't easy - as you can tell I'm still 50/50 on it). I don't regret my Ultra purchase however I think I would have been just as happy with a normal AW. For you? I think the SS and steel link band work best with a normal (non-ultra) AW. (Just my opinion).

(Warning: long).

So my thoughts - I've used an AW since the AW3 and always got the cheap aluminum one. So this year I wanted to treat myself and said I'd trade in an old iPad for either a SS or Ultra. What made me go Ultra was battery life. While I never had a problem with my AW7 battery life, 1.7 days, I was very much attracted by the battery life. Also, I wanted to get SS or Ultra because I was tired of always having a scratch on the screen that I managed to get within the first few weeks of a new watch (always). lol.

I know people still using the AW3 today but it is not a pleasant experience (the same AW3 I used many many years ago) lol. IMO, you get a lot more enjoyment out of use if you upgrade every 2-3 years. That's what we've been doing (my wife and I).

When I did do a nice deep scratch on my new Apple Watch, Apple was always quick to offer me an AppleCare+ replacement (I never took them up on it because I figured now that I have the scratch, I don't have to worry about it anymore - and lived with it). So I figure if I ding the Ultra bad enough Apple might let me replace it with an AppleCare+ replacement? I'm not one that has to have my devices perfect so...

My Ultra: This is my first titanium watch. Doesn't feel heavy and I enjoy the larger watch (I'm a big guy so it is smaller than my wrist). I can easily get 3 days of battery life and only charge every other day whenever I want to. Like you I'm prone to hitting things and in the sun I've noticed that the edges are not perfect (can't see indoors - only outside in sun just BARELY). But it doesn't bother me at all and no one else can see it (I've asked). The bands are a bit more expensive ($99) - but they feel good. My old sports loops don't look good on the Ultra - too thin. So something to consider - how many bands do you have? (I had 3 that I can't use anymore).

I've had many people compliment me on the watch. A lot of Apple Watch users (people I don't know and know) go: "Is that the Ultra? It looks really good on you!" I'm not a flashy guy at all nor do I enjoy the attention but interesting nonetheless.

While I love the battery life, if I had to do it over again, I THINK I'd go AW8. The smaller watch, being able to use my old bands, the much cheaper watch.... but grass is always greener on the other side. With the old iPad trade in, I ended up paying only $400-$500. So <shrug>. I really do like the Ultra. It feels, looks amazing. Battery life is oh so worth it - and yes, I work a desk job just like you so I can charge whenever I want but now I can go 2+ days without even thinking about it. I really think the screen is far better than the rounded screen of the normal AW - the edge of the titanium is very durable (I've slammed it into dozens of things with no harm to the watch).

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I'm not sure what you have seen wrt duffed up Ultras around that sharp edge but I banged mine on metal railings on a gate during a walk the other day, thought I had dinged the edge and realised it had taken a chunk of rust and paint off the railing and the edge was perfect so I think it's good extra protection for the Sapphire which is very scratch resistant but it can be chipped.

I've always had SS Apple Watch - S0, S3 and an S5 which is now my backup and they have been great but I've always hoped they wouldn't look duffed up because of the pure aesthetic but tbh, I think I would feel less of an issue with a scratch on the Ultra because it looks rugged and it would be more like character.

The other extra for me is that great sized screen. I use WorkOutdoors a lot for tracking but now the GPX route feature is really, really useful. I'm quite long sighted and don't wear glasses when I'm out and about but the large screen with GPX routes has made me completely retire my Garmin eTrex which I always used to use. This is a LOT easier to read.

Battery life is also a huge boon and I do use it for sleep tracking. The only downside is that if I do have a lay in and it goes past the sleep schedule I have to turn that back on because my resting heart rate is around 40 and it keeps pinging me every 10 mins otherwise that it's dropped below that :D

Also, band compatibility. I have LOADS but all 42-45mm standard and they fit just fine - even the Black Leather one I got with my S0.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm not sure what you have seen wrt duffed up Ultras around that sharp edge but I banged mine on metal railings on a gate during a walk the other day, thought I had dinged the edge and realised it had taken a chunk of rust and paint off the railing and the edge was perfect so I think it's good extra protection for the Sapphire which is very scratch resistant but it can be chipped.

Yep, I've slammed my Ultra into several things - 100% convinced my Ultra was done for as I saw debris on the Ultra - wiped them off and the Ultra was visually perfect - it had actually taken a chunk out of what I hit. This has happened a handful of times since I've had this, lol (I am trying to be more careful). Metal, wood, etc.

I'm pretty convinced that this thing is indestructible at least for my usage.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Thanks for the responses.

Still in two minds about my options. I think I want the Ultra as wearing it feels new and different. But my head says that a new S7 and new link bracelet (£350 though!) is likely a safer bet and more practical for all clothing and occasions. The Ultra comes in cheaper than the other option, which is pushing me to the edge a little bit more.

The chonk of the Ultra is equally appealing and off putting. Watching endless youtube videos with people who generally have too skinny a wrist so it makes the Ultra's thickness look ridiculous. But I had the feeling that the S8 looked too small on my wrist. Gah.....! Almost taking myself out of either options I go around in circles.

*edit - this might help push me to SS

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
First, I don’t think you’ll make a bad choice.

But I think you should listen to your heart.

As others have noted, while it takes less to damage the titanium case of the Ultra than the stainless of the S8, that doesn’t mean that the Ultra damages easily. I’ve not only caught my fair share of doorknobs and granite countertops, I’ve worn it in the garden, elbow-deep in the dirt digging out weeds. It’s still pristine.

But there’s another reason, too, and it’s purely aesthetic.

That is … suppose you do, actually, manage to ding the watch. (The case, of course; if it’s the sapphire screen, you’ll be more worried about learning to live as an amputee than what your watch looks like.)

The stainless is going to look like damaged goods, but the Ultra will just gain some patina.

That is, damage to the Ultra’s case doesn’t (to me) detract from its looks.

I posed this question to somebody else some time back. Imagine that you walk into a store and you have a choice between two vintage Rolexes. Both are the exact same model and are sold for the exact same price. One is in its never-opened from-the-factory box. The other is well-worn … but it’s the very watch that Chuck Yeager had on his wrist when he broke the sound barrier (with full provenance, of course). Which watch do you want?

The Ultra with a few dings and scratches is going to look at least as cool as, if not better than, it did out of the box. And you’ll probably have a story to explain the nick (went over the rapids in an inner tube?); if not, you’ve definitely got an excuse to make one up (“It was a dark and stormy night …”).

But, again … the S8 is also an awesome watch, so you won’t go awry.

Let us know what you decide!

b&

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I decided the extra thickness of the ultra is what makes it look so big, and with my small wrist finally talked myself out of it. I bought a Spiedel stainless link band and really like it, but I’ve only had it a few months so I can’t say anything about its durability. I tried it on the ultra and thought it went well with it. So did my wife and the salesman. I think it would go well with any silver watch. It isn’t too bad with my sbS4 that I’m wearing until I pull the trigger on an S8.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I am not in the target market for the Ultra and I still tried it out in the store. I was impressed by the specifications and looks but it way to big for my wrists. That is one awesome looking watch but it needs to 15-25% smaller in the bulk and maybe a 45 MM option for the Ultra say something along the lines of the iPhone Pro vs Pro Max.

I had also tried on the stainless steel series 8 in both the 41 MM and 45 MM and I just could not justify the pricing of essentially is the same as the aluminum. The 45 MM stainless was even a bit large for my wrists and I almost pulled the trigger on that model but then I started to over analyze the direction I was going and decided the old series 0 with a dead battery did need to be replaced and being I always do the same on making a decision to what I wanted to replace the dead device.

Since I am retired and do not need to buy more durable and long lasting devices and since I have my iPhone with me I went to a basic aluminum GPS 41 MM in space black.

I actually like the upgrade that I actually went with and it was also against what my wife wanted me to get because she actually pushed me towards the 41 MM stainless but I just went well I am cheap and do not need anything fancier then what I choose.

Most folks who go for the more expensive options in stainless or the Ultra have fun I enjoy reading the forums on the watch. Apple marketing at it finest.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Wearing my dead SS0 to remind myself of the size and look. There's a part of me that thinks the size and weight is just fine but I have big hands so could pull off the Ultra. Swinging to S7.

8FABA162-EB72-4C87-8A61-65873A3236D7.jpeg
B0DA3C39-EB96-4987-9E1D-3611D22ED5B6.jpeg

0CB10EA9-0AA4-4AEC-84D0-99D017D9CAD6.jpeg

Attachments

• DCFD1FDF-EEA4-4927-B619-2FD73CE2AB83.jpeg
    DCFD1FDF-EEA4-4927-B619-2FD73CE2AB83.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wearing my dead SS0 to remind myself of the size and look. There's a part of me that thinks the size and weight is just fine but I have big hands. Could pull of the Ultra....?
View attachment 2129365 View attachment 2129367
View attachment 2129364 View attachment 2129361
That AW looks great imo. That's a very classic look.

IMO you could definitely pull off the Ultra. But that AW with that band looks really nice (business casual/suit tie like).

I always wanted to do a band and SS like that, but I'm a jeans / sweat shirt type of guy (I never dress otherwise, lol).

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I took my 42mm SS link bracelet into the store today to try and finally make the decision (as they don't stock it in this size). Ultra is still my fav on Ocean band, not so sure on the bracelet - looks a little top-heavy and my bracelet is too shiny through polishing. The S8 shape is turning me off still due to its over-round corner design - it really looks different to my S0 (almost looks squarer). The Ultra screen really pops as well over the S8.

So I've talked myself out of the S7/S8 - just need to convince myself the Ultra is hardy enough for me as the sight of scratches I can't fix is gonna kill my joy. Yes, I know it's a watch so scratches are inevitable but as mentioned previously, the SS can be polished - the Ultra finish can't.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I took my 42mm SS link bracelet into the store today to try and finally make the decision (as they don't stock it in this size). Ultra is still my fav on Ocean band, not so sure on the bracelet - looks a little top-heavy and my bracelet is too shiny through polishing. The S8 shape is turning me off still due to its over-round corner design - it really looks different to my S0 (almost looks squarer). The Ultra screen really pops as well over the S8.

So I've talked myself out of the S7/S8 - just need to convince myself the Ultra is hardy enough for me as the sight of scratches I can't fix is gonna kill my joy. Yes, I know it's a watch so scratches are inevitable but as mentioned previously, the SS can be polished - the Ultra finish can't.
I go through similar back and forth with my Ultra. I like it for the most part, but sometimes I would like to have a S7 SS for the lighter case and more refined look. 2 Smart watches seems a little wasteful for me since many of us want to stay current with newer features and therefore, the prices for our used watches falls very quickly.

I think I have decided at this point to wait 9 months and then maybe pick up a S9 SS or Ultra 2. I do understand your delima regarding the Ultra/S7-S8 though. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I go through similar back and forth with my Ultra. I like it for the most part, but sometimes I would like to have a S7 SS for the lighter case and more refined look. 2 Smart watches seems a little wasteful for me since many of want to stay current with newer features and the prices for our used watches falls very quickly.

I think I have decided at this point to wait 9 months and then maybe pick up a S9 SS or Ultra 2. I do understand your delima regarding the Ultra/S7-S8 though. Good luck with your decision.

It’s nicer than most realize to have two watches. I used to sell my older Watch each time I upgraded, but the last two times I’ve kept the older one. Battery effectively doesn’t matter anymore. My ultra lasts easily through the day and then the next. When it’s time to charge, I throw on my series 7.

Is it necessary? No. It does massively improve the experience for me.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The Ultra is nice but a bit larger than I want to put up with everyday. It is a personal preference thing and you got to make your own choice. I will stick with my Series 7 SBTi for another year. Battery capacity still at 100%😀

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
The Ultra is nice but a bit larger than I want to put up with everyday. It is a personal preference thing and you got to make your own choice. I will stick with my Series 7 SBTi for another year. Battery capacity still at 100%😀
I also had the concern with the ultras larger size. I live in a colder climate, I don’t really notice the extra heft of the ultra until I need to put on or remove a winter coat. Then I sure notice the size. Overall it is worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Thanks for the responses.

Still in two minds about my options. I think I want the Ultra as wearing it feels new and different. But my head says that a new S7 and new link bracelet (£350 though!) is likely a safer bet and more practical for all clothing and occasions. The Ultra comes in cheaper than the other option, which is pushing me to the edge a little bit more.

The chonk of the Ultra is equally appealing and off putting. Watching endless youtube videos with people who generally have too skinny a wrist so it makes the Ultra's thickness look ridiculous. But I had the feeling that the S8 looked too small on my wrist. Gah.....! Almost taking myself out of either options I go around in circles.

*edit - this might help push me to SS

If you want a link bracelet for the ultra check out the Nomad Titanium band. It’s cheaper, lighter and a better colour match to the ultra than apple offerings. I love mine. If apple would have released a titanium band I would have been all over it no matter the price… this it the next best option imho.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Still not convinced the Ultra titanium is gonna hold up to knocks + dings and not trigger my OCD.

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Still not convinced the Ultra titanium is gonna hold up to knocks + dings and not trigger my OCD.
My ultra already has a few dings on the flat titanium portion of the bottom bezel. Likely from door jams etc because of its larger protruding size. My S7 didn’t have a single mark on it after a year.

• Wow
Reactions: orbital~debris

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Titanium scratches can be repaired. Google it. You'll see Youtube videos and articles about it.

I've had Apple watches SS 2, SS4, SS 6 and now the Ultra. I use all my bands without issue, including the stainless link and even a Milanese Loop. All look great.

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Titanium scratches can be repaired. Google it. You'll see Youtube videos and articles about it.

I've had Apple watches SS 2, SS4, SS 6 and now the Ultra. I use all my bands without issue, including the stainless link and even a Milanese Loop. All look great.
Yeah….. these are more like tiny pits or dents, not scratches, Im not sure if these could be buffed out as they are right on the 90 degree corner of the titanium. I’ve had a couple of silver SS models over the years and have easily been able to buff out scratches. These are a little bit deeper. I think with series 0 through series 7, the brunt of the abuse they would get for me would be on the edges of the sapphire screen, which was hard enough to not let any scratches or dings show up.

Attachments

• B051AE39-C2EF-4D9C-9BF9-5271ABD4C8CB.jpeg
    B051AE39-C2EF-4D9C-9BF9-5271ABD4C8CB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • D38ED995-22E3-4977-9B58-B417AE26AC01.jpeg
    D38ED995-22E3-4977-9B58-B417AE26AC01.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Imagine that you walk into a store and you have a choice between two vintage Rolexes. Both are the exact same model and are sold for the exact same price. One is in its never-opened from-the-factory box. The other is well-worn … but it’s the very watch that Chuck Yeager had on his wrist when he broke the sound barrier (with full provenance, of course). Which watch do you want?

Then I would strongly recommend embracing the Ultra with its titanium and all of its knocks and dings.

First, you can rest easy. Anything that’s going to damage (or even scratch) the face is going to take your arm off with it.

Which means that the knocks and dings are well and truly going to be purely cosmetic.

And, incidentally, almost nonexistent.

I’ve had my Ultra since the UPS guy handed it to me on release day. I haven’t been hard on it, but I haven’t been gentle, either. I’ve hit my share of doorknobs and the like, plus I’ve had my arms elbow-deep in the dirt in the garden a couple times digging up Bermuda grass roots.

If I look veeeeery closely, I can see a couple spots on the crisp outer rim of the titanium that are a bit sninier / more polished.

At this rate, in several years, it’ll look “well-worn,” with the emphasis on “well.” It’ll be the same sort of patina that you’d see on Chuck Yeager’s watch. Probably not as much.

And, the good news?

While your stories might not be as exciting as Mr. Yeager’s, they’ll be your stories.

Besides. How else are you supposed to know that the watch is your watch, actually yours and not somebody else’s, if it’s exactly like everybody else’s? And what better way for the watch to be uniquely yours than for it to carry the record of your own story?

Cheers,

b&

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Yeah….. these are more like tiny pits or dents, not scratches, Im not sure if these could be buffed out as they are right on the 90 degree corner of the titanium. I’ve had a couple of silver SS models over the years and have easily been able to buff out scratches. These are a little bit deeper. I think with series 0 through series 7, the brunt of the abuse they would get for me would be on the edges of the sapphire screen, which was hard enough to not let any scratches or dings show up.

Did you check out any of the videos? From what I remember seeing while waiting for my Ultra to arrive, some of the repairs were impressive and performed similarly to how SS is repaired.

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Then I would strongly recommend embracing the Ultra with its titanium and all of its knocks and dings.

First, you can rest easy. Anything that’s going to damage (or even scratch) the face is going to take your arm off with it.

Which means that the knocks and dings are well and truly going to be purely cosmetic.

And, incidentally, almost nonexistent.

I’ve had my Ultra since the UPS guy handed it to me on release day. I haven’t been hard on it, but I haven’t been gentle, either. I’ve hit my share of doorknobs and the like, plus I’ve had my arms elbow-deep in the dirt in the garden a couple times digging up Bermuda grass roots.

If I look veeeeery closely, I can see a couple spots on the crisp outer rim of the titanium that are a bit sninier / more polished.

At this rate, in several years, it’ll look “well-worn,” with the emphasis on “well.” It’ll be the same sort of patina that you’d see on Chuck Yeager’s watch. Probably not as much.

And, the good news?

While your stories might not be as exciting as Mr. Yeager’s, they’ll be your stories.

Besides. How else are you supposed to know that the watch is your watch, actually yours and not somebody else’s, if it’s exactly like everybody else’s? And what better way for the watch to be uniquely yours than for it to carry the record of your own story?

Cheers,

b&
Yep. It’s all good if it gets dinged up a little bit, I never keep my watch for longer than a year. I had a buyer lined up for the watch I just purchased a few months ago before I even purchased it. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.