Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2001
NY
I design web sites in ColdFusion and I would like to move from Windows to Apple.
Does anybody use UltraDev for CF development?
Are there any hidden problems on Mac platform?

mikebach

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2001
California
Don't do it

Keep with the MS platform.. Apple is a great platform but for testing and debugging and running Server on the same development platform for testing. Stuck with MS 2000 which even as a Apple User I feel is a very stable and workable development platform. Use both. There no need to migrate. Same with ASP Development. It just easier and the hardware is cheaper.

ryanweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2001
NY
I was thinking of using Windows 2000 as a server and Mac as a desktop station, working with this server.
Windows 2000 is far more stable then Windows 98, but it still crashes 3-4 times a week and, which is more important, security problems with Windows 2000(vires, etc.)
I have DSL with static IP and use all kinds of firewalls and virus protection, nevertheless I've been hacked twice and got a vires three times.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
If you want a server....

Windows makes a horrable server... its ok for a desktop but its sucks as a server. I say develope/ work on a Mac and host on a UNIX box, Linux if you dont have the cash. The sever software is free and it works. Plus... no code Red virus to stop the internet. Give Linux a try for a server. It will run on allmost any box. Mac is still the best for development. Just hide you server Linux Box in the closet or something. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.