Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Because I had been holding off getting the latest iOS 13 update. Was very happy with 12.4.

When I left my home, I turned Wifi off in the Settings menu (Settings>Wifi>OFF). I was told this was the way to permanently disable iPhone turning on Wifi.

Well...when I got to work, I again checked to make sure it was off. It was. So I put the phone on my wireless charger and went about my work. When I checked my iPhone again, the Wifi signal was being displayed and the screen said I had successfully completed the iOS 13 update. Umm...ok?

Granted it had been nagging me for about a week or so in Settings. But I intended to hold off until another further update or two with iOS 13.

So does the iPhone eventually turn on Wifi when it detects it being powered to update the OS on its own? If it does, it would be a good thing for me to know in the future, so I can take appropriate steps so it doesn't do this again.

The good (?) news is now I am a iOS 13 beta tester. ;)

Last edited:

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Because I had been holding off getting the latest iOS 13 update. Was very happy with 12.4.

When I left my home, I turned Wifi off in the Settings menu (Settings>Wifi>OFF). I was told this was the way to permanently disable iPhone turning on Wifi.

Well...when I got to work, I again checked to make sure it was off. It was. So I put the phone on my wireless charger and went about my work. When I checked my iPhone again, the Wifi signal was being displayed and the screen said I had successfully completed the iOS 13 update. Umm...ok?

Granted it had been nagging me for about a week or so in Settings. But I intended to hold off until another further update or two with iOS 13.

So does the iPhone eventually turn on Wifi when it detects it being powered to update the OS on its own? If it does, it would be a good thing for me to know in the future, so I can take appropriate steps so it doesn't do this again.

The good (?) news is now I am a iOS 13 beta tester. ;)
No... What happened here is the software update had ‘already been downloaded’ and was waiting for you to put the phone on a charger to then carry out the installation of iOS 13.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
But I have put it on the charger multiple times with the Wifi being off and it remained off and the software still not installed.

When I picked up the phone this time, the Wifi was on and the phone was updated with iOS 13.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
But I have put it on the charger multiple times with the Wifi being off and it remained off and the software still not installed.

When I picked up the phone this time, the Wifi was on and the phone was updated with iOS 13.
Interesting.... Let’s try it this way:- Do you know if the software had already been downloaded and was now waiting for a mains connection to install? It’s the nagging you received which I am trying to ascertain.
If you know for certain the update had NOT been downloaded then that would be a whole different problem?

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Ok, I think I might have figured out what happened.

Yes, it had been saying in settings it was ready to be installed or something such as that. I kept putting it off. But I also kept charging it without it ever installing.

But...it could be that it just decided at a particular time of day that it was going to go ahead and install if it realized it was under power. And maybe the reason why my Wifi was on, is that I usually do have it turned on. So maybe when it updated to iOS 13, it went with that Wifi setting being turned on. Only thing I could figger out with that.

I guess what through me was 1) the Wifi was on and I was connected to the network when I did turn off the Wifi connection. And 2) it did it without me authorizing it (putting in my passcode, etc.).

Oh well. It's done now. I'm gonna stick with it. Hopefully I don't have any major bugs. Haven't noticed anything immediately. Hopefully I am one of the folks who have that update go smoothly for them. (fingers crossed).

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
You mention that you had wifi on at home so it is likely that it had downloaded in the background and was nagging you to install it. The nags as you say are very persistent and phrased to get you to accept the 'install later' option which is done when connected to power.
I have been caught out by this before where I thought I was saying no, and then realised I've actually agreed to later

Reactions: brgjoe

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Yes.... I am definitely sticking with what I mentioned in my initial reply. The software had already been downloaded and just waiting for the correct time and amount of time to carry out the update.
The WiFi could have been turned on automatically after the update to send the install complete back to Apple as Apple keeps a log of devices updated.

Reactions: brgjoe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.