Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Un-jailbreak an iPhone 5 running ios 6.1.2?

I have an iPhone 5 running ios 6.1.2 + jailbreak.

As much as I love ios 6.1.2, including its looks, I’m at a point now where I have apps that won’t run, or wont run correctly, and they require a newer version of ios to upgrade.

The laptop I had used to jailbreak, several years back, lost its hard drive, so I’m not even sure which utility I used to jailbreak.

I have been searching around the Internet for un-jailbreak instructions, but what I have found hasn’t been crystal clear on the instructions part. I do know, that I can’t just do an ios restore without un-jailbreaking, I understand that I will probably brick the phone if I do that.

Hoping someone can point me to some good/clear un-jailbreaking instructions for an iPhone with 6.1.2.

TIA.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
There is no such a thing as un-jealbreaking IOS 6.1.2.
All you need to do is DFU restore through iTunes. But, that means you will have to restore to the latest IOS Apple is signing and that is 9.2.1.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
And you won't be able to re-jailbreak...yet.

I suggest starting from scratch (get everything significant off of the iPhone, iOS restore, reinstalling apps, configuring settings manually) and NOT restoring from your iOS 6 backup. More work, but less of a chance of issues going from 6 to 9. Also, starting from scratch will eliminate bringing back system files that are related to the jailbreak and tweaks.

Reactions: ratsg

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
You could sell your iPhone5 on eBay (listing the iOS6 feature) and take those funds to purchase a brand new iP5 as the ones with iOS6 sell for a pretty decent premium.

Reactions: ratsg

Dr. Freeman

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Personally I would try googling for "restore iphone without losing jailbreak 6.1.2" because there hasn't been a way to do exactly what you want since the 3GS days.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010

Thank you for the reply. I have been very happy with 6.1.2 myself.

I'm not a big app person. The big drawing point to jailbreaking for me, was to be able to ssh into the Mac OS X itself, as root, and manipulate things, move around files, make (unix style) symbolic links, etc.

The few apps that I need are from the app store that need a newer version of the IOS to upgrade.

Just in short, I'm not concerned with loosing any customizations from restoring.
[doublepost=1456548519][/doublepost]
There is no such a thing as un-jealbreaking IOS 6.1.2.
All you need to do is DFU restore through iTunes. But, that means you will have to restore to the latest IOS Apple is signing and that is 9.2.1.

Really??? thanks for this reply.

I always do an Internet search for stuff like this before kicking off a thread, and I came up with zilch. I guess this explains why.
[doublepost=1456548834][/doublepost]
Personally I would try googling for "restore iphone without losing jailbreak 6.1.2" because there hasn't been a way to do exactly what you want since the 3GS days.

Thank you for your reply. as commented earlier, I really don't have much of any Cydia apps. The real value of jailbreaking for me, is to be able to ssh in to Unix/Mac OS X on my phone and do what I need to do from the command line. I'm not concerned with loosing anything.

All I want to do, is just to be able to restore the phone, install what-ever is the current Apple IOS on it, and upgrade my (purchased from the Apple app store) applications.

I can deal with not having a jail broken phone for a while. The being able to ssh into the phone just makes things nice/easier for me, but isn't a show stopper.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
He does not want to be on iOS 6

He just wants to the update his iOS software

It's as easy as plugging your device into your computer and click restore iPhone in iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.