Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
....I'm sort of ashamed returning to this forum so soon to ask another question but here we go:

Backstory: I want to Linux distro hop but first I need all the spaces from my partition for something before that. So, I mindlessly followed apple's guide on deleting partition, and surprise surprise: I failed.

diskutil list:
1640778742011.png

It's only after googling more about this that I found out that my hard drive have this weird FFFFFF type and that's bad news,

1640778849697.png

In my Disk Utility, I saw something that I normally didn't see before. Normally it would only show my hard drive (The second one in the list). But here I saw another one.... which is also coincidentally my hard drive (Normally, if I put it to show all devices, the second volume in the list would be under this volume. But now, they're completely seperate). And of course, the second volume, is still showing the same capacity with no added storage from the partition.

I'm just really damn confused on this matter altogether, the jist of what I want is that I want to fix the FFFFFF volume/drive thing and make everything back to normal. But, well I need to seek some guidance on this because I don't really know what I should do next.

Last edited:

bensharma

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
That happened to me on a 2019 Macbook Air when I was removing a Boot Camp partition a few weeks ago.

I think what I eventually did was go into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there and delete things. But eventually I threw up my hands and deleted everything -- I might even have had to go to the command-line and use unmount and diskutil to do it -- and once everything was on a single empty partition I installed Big Sur using a bootable installer I'd made on a different Mac, then upgraded to Monterey.

I'm certain that there's a less destructive way to do it, but if all else fails you could do something like that.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
That happened to me on a 2019 Macbook Air when I was removing a Boot Camp partition a few weeks ago.

I think what I eventually did was go into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there and delete things. But eventually I threw up my hands and deleted everything -- I might even have had to go to the command-line and use unmount and diskutil to do it -- and once everything was on a single empty partition I installed Big Sur using a bootable installer I'd made on a different Mac, then upgraded to Monterey.

I'm certain that there's a less destructive way to do it, but if all else fails you could do something like that.
Yeah I was contemplating doing that actually until a guy help me out and I ended up in recovery mode unmounting my hard drive (the disk0 one) and adding it back along with the disk0s2 (At least, that's how I understand it, I'm a bit dumb sometimes). After that, all that's left to do is adding back the free space from the partition.

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable in gpt commands since I never use it but in case this helps someone, I'll add the commands I used here:
Bash:
gpt -f remove -i 2 disk0
gpt -f add -i 2 -b 409640 -s 1269426984 -t apfs disk0

Reactions: bensharma

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Paragon Software has a utility to help resize partitions. They support Mac as well as Windows and Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.