Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubbler328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I recently got an 11” iPad Pro, it runs 13.4 out of the box. I can not airdrop to the new iPad from other devices that are on my I iCloud account. I’ve had the issue with my iPhone, another iPad, and a Mac (though strangely it’s only intermittent here). I initially set up this new iPad via the quick setup option that’s offered where you pair devices via the camera. I did not restore a previous backup to the device.

I have:
Checked airdrop settings and toggled them off/on multiple times.
Rebooted the devices multiple times.
Toggled off/on Handoff.
Restored it and set it up as new, without any quick setup via Camera.
Logged out and back in to my iCloud on my iPhone X, which is the primary device I’m trying to AirDrop from.

And finally:
Logged it out of my iCloud account on the iPad, which worked!

So the issue is if the device shows under the “Devices” category in the AirDrop share sheet area, which automatically happens if I’m logged into iCloud, I can’t airdrop to it. The device I’m airdropping from just shows “Waiting...”, indefinitely.

When I tried airdropping from my iPhone while the New iPad was logged out of iCloud, there was no issue with the airdrop, so I think there’s something going on with iOS13 AirDrop Compatibility within the same iCloud account in my case.

Short of signing out of iCloud on every device at once, which is a huge pain in the ass, I’m not sure what else I can try. Does anyone have a solution or know if this is a documented issue? I haven’t been able to find any that applies specifically to this situation. Thanks!

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I recently got an 11” iPad Pro, it runs 13.4 out of the box. I can not airdrop to the new iPad from other devices that are on my I iCloud account. I’ve had the issue with my iPhone, another iPad, and a Mac (though strangely it’s only intermittent here). I initially set up this new iPad via the quick setup option that’s offered where you pair devices via the camera. I did not restore a previous backup to the device.

I have:
Checked airdrop settings and toggled them off/on multiple times.
Rebooted the devices multiple times.
Toggled off/on Handoff.
Restored it and set it up as new, without any quick setup via Camera.
Logged out and back in to my iCloud on my iPhone X, which is the primary device I’m trying to AirDrop from.

And finally:
Logged it out of my iCloud account on the iPad, which worked!

So the issue is if the device shows under the “Devices” category in the AirDrop share sheet area, which automatically happens if I’m logged into iCloud, I can’t airdrop to it. The device I’m airdropping from just shows “Waiting...”, indefinitely.

When I tried airdropping from my iPhone while the New iPad was logged out of iCloud, there was no issue with the airdrop, so I think there’s something going on with iOS13 AirDrop Compatibility within the same iCloud account in my case.

Short of signing out of iCloud on every device at once, which is a huge pain in the ass, I’m not sure what else I can try. Does anyone have a solution or know if this is a documented issue? I haven’t been able to find any that applies specifically to this situation. Thanks!

Had the same problem. After setting AirDrop on both to "Everyone", it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.