Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ztrader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hi everyone.
My dad has an iMac late 2011 with Mac OS x lion.
He has not used the machine for a while and the certification is out of date. He was unable to browse on the internet and occurring error popped up «Your clock is ahead of time»

researched it and came to the conclusion that certification is out of date. I tried to update certificate from this website here https://msfn.org/board/topic/175170-root-certificates-and-revoked-certificates-for-windows-xp/

this is of no help.

I'd rather factory reset the machine. I start the machine in recovery mode. I delete the volume on disk utility first.

Then I go back to reinstall Mac Os Lion x. I get this error message "Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X»

When I try to start the machine it comes up with a blank white page. And when I try to boot the machine in recovery mode, it forwards me to internet recovery mode

I came across this website and tried all steps 1-4. None of the steps work. https://iboysoft.com/amp/howto/a-required-download-is-missing.html

I ran into some problems on step 4 for the bootable USB flash drive to install Mac OS. As I have windows computer I followed this guide here https://www.easeus.com/amp/computer-instruction/create-mac-bootable-usb-from-windows.html.

I have followed all the steps. When I try this I get this error message "this disk doesn't use the guid partition table scheme". I have made sure that the USB is GPT on my windows computer. Still same problem.

I come across a video where it is told that you go into disk utility, then press view all devices and press the hard disk/usb where you can select the scheme GPT to solve this problem. But I don't get this choice since I only enter internet recovery mode.

Spent several hours getting it fixed. To no avail. I would be very grateful if someone could help me as I’m stuck in internett recovery mode.

Sorry for my bad english.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DON'T use ordinary "recovery" to "reset" the iMac.
That will only get you to "the recovery partition", when you may need to "wipe" the entire drive.

PRINT OUT this reply -- you will need the printout.

FIRST:
Do you have his data backed up?
If not, get an external drive and download SuperDuper (which is free to use for this purpose).
The program is self-explanatory and it will create a cloned backup on the external drive.

NEXT:
Boot to INTERNET recovery.
This is NOT THE SAME as "the recovery partition"
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.
KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN for a while !!

Ethernet is best for this, but if you're using wifi, enter the wifi password when asked.

When you get to the internet utilities, open disk utility.
IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
Check to see if disk utility has a "view" menu.
If it does, you MUST go to it and choose "show all devices".
(you can't see the internal drive unless you do this)

Look at the list on the left.
The topmost item is the internal drive.
Click on it, then click "erase".
Erase to "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format"
When the erase is done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer.

The installer is probably going to offer you OS 10.13 "High Sierra".
Accept it.
Start clicking through.
The Mac will reboot one or more times, and the screen will go dark with no indication of activity for a minute or more.
Be patient.

When done, you should see the initial setup screen "choose your language".
CONNECT THE BACKUP and start clicking through.

When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, YES, do this.
"Point the way" to SA to the backup, and give it time to digest everything.

SA will present you with a list of stuff that can be migrated.
I recommend you "migrate it all".
Turn SA loose and let it do its thing. It will take a while.

When done, you should see your father's login screen.
So, log in and "look around" -- hopefully things are ok.

Good luck.

Reactions: appltech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.