Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melchett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
I had upgraded my mac mini from mountain lion to mavericks and now the volume can not be increased or decreased. It is permanently stuck at 100p.c.

I am attaching screenshots for your convenience.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Melchett

P.S. I am using a Microsoft kb and mouse

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 6.34.16 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 6.34.16 pm.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 6.36.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 6.36.27 pm.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Check to make sure you aren't connected to any Air Play devices, I had an issue similar to that when restoring from a TimeMachine backup, volume worked before, didn't after. Also check in:

System Preferences>Sound, then make sure you have the internal speakers selected :)

Hop that helps!

dinojr

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Hello.
New Haswell iMac has this problem too, but only when I plug in speakers/headphones?

Internal speakers OK... Any ideas?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hello.
New Haswell iMac has this problem too, but only when I plug in speakers/headphones?

Internal speakers OK... Any ideas?

You also can use the Sound icon in the Finder menu bar by holding down the command key+the sound icon in the Finder top menu. Now from there you can change input/output settings.

dinojr

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks satcomer, I'll try that when I get home.

I phoned Apple last night... We have found:

1. No speakers plugged in: Mavericks allows internal speaker volume operation as normal. Sound preferences knows to output via internal speakers.
2. My Headphones plugged in (3.5mm jack): Mavericks allows volume operation as normal. Sound preferences knows to output via Audio Out Port.
3. My Amplifier plugged in (3.5mm jack): Mavericks does NOT allow volume operation, Speaker icon greyed out again. Sound preferences thinks I have an optical cable plugged in.

I can only deduce that the iMac measures the impedance of the connection. The headphones impedance is identified correctly as Headphones, but the Amp cable impedance is outside the "range" the iMac recognises, and is identified incorrectly as an optical connection.

I am going to measure the resistance of the 2x 3.5mm plugs, and try to modify the amp cable to match the headphone cable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.