Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Two of the 4 phones in are family are getting the “unable to check for update” message. Both phones are on 13.1 now and cannot update to 13.1.1. I have tried downloading the update on iTunes but it does not update to phone either. Have tried resetting network settings, power cycling phone, and using cellular as well as WiFi.

Any other ideas?

Reactions: UrbanGeek

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Try recovery mode or DFU mode if you are receiving errors.

I would also recommend setting up as new if you have the important stuff saved in the cloud and you want to avoid potential prior issues moving forward.

I DFU restore my phone with every update and set it up as new every update. Never have many (read any) issues with my phone using this method; even if it is more extreme.

sregreb

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
Two of the 4 phones in are family are getting the “unable to check for update” message. Both phones are on 13.1 now and cannot update to 13.1.1. I have tried downloading the update on iTunes but it does not update to phone either. Have tried resetting network settings, power cycling phone, and using cellular as well as WiFi.

Any other ideas?

Same exact issue here, and I don’t think this issue is uncommon. I was on the public beta, deleted the beta profile and installed the official release of 13.1 without issue. Now I am unable to check for updates. I have tried all the “fixes” except for ITunes since I don’t have a Mac. I do notice there is no Profiles entry at all in settings. Shouldn’t there be? This seemed to disappear when I deleted the Beta profile. Not sure if this is related to the current issue. There has to be a way around this other that setting my IPad as new and restoring from a backup or reinstalling everything from scratch. I’m traveling and there is no way I can do that now.... What a bummer

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015

Any other ideas?

Same here.

Have not been on beta. Installing from new doesn't sound like an interesting option.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I’ve had issues of just a spinner after downloading and trying to update. Happened with both the 13.1 and 13.1.1 updates. The only workaround that has worked is disabling automatic updates. Once that is off, I’ve been able to install the updates. Why? I have no idea...lol

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Try recovery mode or DFU mode if you are receiving errors.

I would also recommend setting up as new if you have the important stuff saved in the cloud and you want to avoid potential prior issues moving forward.

I DFU restore my phone with every update and set it up as new every update. Never have many (read any) issues with my phone using this method; even if it is more extreme.

DFU restore hasn’t really been needed since ios8/9

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I had the same issue on an Xr going from 13.0->13.1 and on my reg 11 going from 13.1->13.1.1

Even a full erase didn't even fix! The only thing that worked (both times) was update via iTunes.

sregreb

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I had the same issue on an Xr going from 13.0->13.1 and on my reg 11 going from 13.1->13.1.1

Even a full erase didn't even fix! The only thing that worked (both times) was update via iTunes.

just crazy. I made an appointment at the Apple Store. Do you think they will be able to help at the Genius Bar?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I thought I was going to have to restore when I updated. My iPhone 11 was stuck at the last little bit of the progress bar and I couldn’t get it to restart or anything. Wouldn’t connect to iTunes. Finally just plugging it into power again got it to complete. About a three hour process. But once done every app would crash, even Settings. Finally a force restart has it back to normal.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had trouble updating one of my four devices this morning. I connected it to my MacBook Pro and updated via iTunes instead of OTA.

Quinto

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
1.jpg So this is normal?

Update: Working normally the next day. Updated without issue.

Last edited:

sregreb

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
Lo and behold, all of a sudden this morning it works. On McDonald’s Free WIFI no less..... Weird
92809CB0-8485-4ADA-BAEF-E3DC7917D4F7.jpeg

Reactions: UrbanGeek

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
when I got my Pro Max it was on 13 obviously. Updated to 13.1 with no issue and checked last night and 13.1.1 was ready. It downloaded and installed with no issue. What is causing this for folks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.