Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.

I have an old Macbook Pro in my bedroom that has been connected to my home network thru an Ethernet cable that snakes around the apartment. (Wifi seems to break bad on it in a way I could never solve, so just using ethernet wound up being easier.)​

That cable became severed (in an unrepairable way) and rather than replacing it, I decided to try to set up a bridge using an Airport Extreme I recently acquired.
d324c0c3-b754-44d0-a7a8-39153a50d5c6

This worked the way I wanted, with the Airport Extreme setting it up easily.
However, since then, I've had some file sharing issues.
If I connect thru Ethernet, I do not see any of the computers on my network:
f08b8475-b55c-492c-8830-2167dcddc826

If I connect with the WiFi, other devices on the network show up:
23428cd4-43d3-4732-888c-ce4736151d8f

I can then connect to them. IF I turn off WiFi after connecting to my iMac, I don't lose connection to the shared iMac folders.
(there are some windows computers not showing up here as well, but for now, I'm tackling just the mac part).

HOWEVER, that's not the only problem....
I can connect to the iMac's startup drive and internal storage drive (two seperate drives), but When I try to connect to any connected USB drives, I get an error "The operation can't be completed because the original item >drive name< can't be found.", despite the USB drives being listed as being there:

12bb3209-67e2-4c6d-b5f9-f84d40539d0d

5a964471-4eda-45d0-9674-e77415d459f8

To complicate matters further, the iMac was just upgraded to Catalina from Mojave. So I don't know if this USB drive issue is a problem with the AirPort Extreeme OR Catalina OR bother.

Looking at both the iMac and the Airport Extreeme, I can't find any settings to adjust. or change.
Can anyone suggest what the problem may be, or how to fix the issues?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Using a backup drive of the previous iMac system, OS Mojave, I booted the iMac into it and found none of the problems exist. So this is all a problem with Catalina and connecting from my MacBook Pro running el Capitan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.