Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrema2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
All

I upgrade a new Macbook Pro from Sierra to High Sierra. It was a brand new out of the box notebook. I created a user A and just used my time machine backup to restore my data, not settings or applications.

Everything went smoothly. Then I tried to delete the user A and it is greyed out. I'm unlocking it before trying to do it. I was able to revert the user to a Standard User instead of an Admin but it didn't solve the issue.

I tried to delete the user using a terminal command and it gave permissions error even with SUDO.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Do a Get Info to verify the User is not Locked.
It's possible that the user is in use in Spotlight. Try adding to privacy tab.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion:

This will require an external, fully bootable drive.

1. Boot from an external source that is "fully bootable" -- i.e., "bootable to the finder".

2. Click ONE time on the INTERNAL drive to select it.

3. Type "command-i" to bring up the get info box.

4. Click the lock icon at the bottom and enter your administrative password.

5. In the checkbox in "sharing and permissions", put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume", and close the get info box.

6. On the INTERNAL drive, navigate to the Users folder.

7. Try selecting the folder for the user you wish to get rid of, and just drag that to the trash. If you are presented with a dialog requesting your administrative password, enter it and click ok. Does the folder then move to the trash?

8. If so, empty the trash.

9. Shut down and reboot to the internal drive. The troublesome account should be gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.