Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

311mi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
I've got a secondhand Macbook Air that I've been trying to wipe the memory out of. I was successful in resetting it, but I had forgotten to update the system before resetting it. After resetting it, I tried installing Mac OS X Lion through Recovery. I've actually successfully been able to do this twice on two other computers, but for this one, no matter how many times I tried, the message "This item is currently unavailable" shows up right after signing into the app store.

I do not have a SuperDrive, and I don't have the CDs either.

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've got a secondhand Macbook Air that I've been trying to wipe the memory out of. I was successful in resetting it, but I had forgotten to update the system before resetting it. After resetting it, I tried installing Mac OS X Lion through Recovery. I've actually successfully been able to do this twice on two other computers, but for this one, no matter how many times I tried, the message "This item is currently unavailable" shows up right after signing into the app store.

I do not have a SuperDrive, and I don't have the CDs either.

Thanks
You could create a USB drive on another Mac.

daplow

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
I am having exactly the same issue. The update from the Apple servers says it's unavailable and to try again later.

I have a new Macbook Pro with Mavericks. Am I able to create a Lion recovery USB drive with this?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am having exactly the same issue. The update from the Apple servers says it's unavailable and to try again later.

I have a new Macbook Pro with Mavericks. Am I able to create a Lion recovery USB drive with this?
Yes. You will need to download the Lion Installer from the Mac App Store and restore the image to a USB. You can then safely remove the Lion Installer.app from your drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

When you say new, do you mean a new model 2013/2014 model MacBook? If so, the App Store will not allow you to download Lion to that machine since it won't run Lion. Sounds like maybe you are trying to use a new Mac to make a USB key for an older Mac?

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I'm having same problem with MacMini early 2009 model. I replaced HD, put old drive into ext usb enclosure and booted from its recovery partition. I tell it to install OS X Lion, it asks for my Apple ID credentials then returns saying ...temporarily unavailable. I do not have another Mac with which to create a Lion USB install drive. What are my options? Frustrating as HELL, Apple!!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm having same problem with MacMini early 2009 model. I replaced HD, put old drive into ext usb enclosure and booted from its recovery partition. I tell it to install OS X Lion, it asks for my Apple ID credentials then returns saying ...temporarily unavailable. I do not have another Mac with which to create a Lion USB install drive. What are my options? Frustrating as HELL, Apple!!

Ideally, you would have created a restore disk. At this point you can either use your recovery DVDs that shipped with the machine or bring it to an Apple Store for a free re-image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.