Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonnnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
I've been attempting to install Mac OS X v10.2 onto my iMac G3 that I just bought off eBay. I purchased some installation discs and I get an error when I insert the "install disc 2" I believe I have bought upgrade discs and not a full installation disc but I am not able to find exactly what I need on eBay. Could someone provide a picture of the disc I need so I don't buy the wrong ones again? I've attached pictures of the installation disc I have and the error message. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5399.jpg
    IMG_5399.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 143

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That looks like a normal retail CD. The upgrade ones usually say something like "CPU Drop-In" (what it has to do with the CPU is bit of a mystery, but I digress).

What's the part number on disc 1? It appears, from what I can tell, that 2Z691-3854-A is the correct "twin". [Edit: Possibly wrong; see my later post below]

Last edited:

bonnnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
That looks like a normal retail CD. The upgrade ones usually say something like "CPU Drop-In" (what it has to do with the CPU is bit of a mystery, but I digress).

What's the part number on disc 1? It appears, from what I can tell, that 2Z691-3854-A is the correct "twin".
The part number on disc 1 is 2Z691-3706-A. When I turned the computer on for the first time after receiving it, it automatically went to the "Please insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 2" prompt. So I never had to use the disc number one. Is it possible that I need to completely start over with the OS X installation process starting with my 10.2 disc 1? If so, how do I completely restart the installation process?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The part number on disc 1 is 2Z691-3706-A.
Does it also say "not for resale" like this one?

View attachment 1988607

Edit: I've found other evidence saying that 2Z691-3854-A is the upgrade version. I might have led you down a wild goose chase there. I'm actually struggling to find photos of them that aren't obvious knock-offs, and the earliest I still own are for OS 10.3 so don't help you.

Edit 2: This pic has 2Z691-3704-A, which would probably make the most logical sense.

When I turned the computer on for the first time after receiving it, it automatically went to the "Please insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 2" prompt. So I never had to use the disc number one.
That's a sign that someone half-installed the OS and then shut down at the disc swap (normally you install disc 1, reboot, then install disc 2).

Last edited:

bonnnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Does it also say "not for resale" like this one?

View attachment 1988607

Edit: I've found other evidence saying that 2Z691-3854-A is the upgrade version. I might have led you down a wild goose chase there. I'm actually struggling to find photos of them that aren't obvious knock-offs, and the earliest I still own are for OS 10.3 so don't help you.

Edit 2: This pic has 2Z691-3704-A, which would probably make the most logical sense.

That's a sign that someone half-installed the OS and then shut down at the disc swap (normally you install disc 1, reboot, then install disc 2).
I've attached a picture of both of the install discs side by side. Am I only able to install 10.2 if I use the 10.2 disc one first? I'm not entirely sure what version is half installed on my G3

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpg
    IMG_5424.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 49

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Which model of iMacG3 is Your's?
I'd start with a fresh install, beginning with os9, then upgrade to a feasable OSX-version. It's a bit tricky to find all necessary stuff in the "garden", but they provide everything You'll need.
The only two models I happened to get into trouble were the first ever iMacG3 Bondi and the second-in-line 350MHz Blueberry. Especially because they heavily rely on a working Tray-CD-Drive, since they don't sport a FireWire-Port for workarounds.
I remember that before Corona started I got stuck trying to install 'Jaguar' on my only 350Mhz Blueberry but didn't solve the problem then. Left that that stubborn guy unfinished in the shelve and let him wait for the time to come ...
Well, problem-solving might have to wait until retirement. 😄

Last edited:

bonnnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Which model of iMacG3 is Your's?
I'd start with a fresh install, beginning with os9, then upgrade to a feasable OSX-version. It's a bit tricky to find all necessary stuff in the "garden", but they provide everything You'll need.
The only two models I happened to get into trouble were the first ever iMacG3 Bondi and the second-in-line 350MHz Blueberry. Especially because they heavily rely on a working Tray-CD-Drive, since they don't sport a FireWire-Port for workarounds.
I remember that before Corona started I got stuck trying to install 'Jaguar' on my only 350Mhz Blueberry but didn't solve the problem then. Left that that stubborn guy unfinished in the shelve and let him wait for the time to come ...
Well, problem-solving might have to wait until retirement. 😄
Mines a G3 600 from 2001. I will look into downloading OS 9 and going from there. I'm new to the world of vintage Apple computers so this is all new to me haha

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Mines a G3 600 from 2001. I will look into downloading OS 9 and going from there. I'm new to the world of vintage Apple computers so this is all new to me haha
Yeah, 600Mhz is good for Tiger, but to start from the beginning is a good approach ...
Here's my favorite configuration for os#9
Forget about Airport-cards for Wifi. Either use Ethernet or an Ethernet-Wifi-Bridge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.