Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi there!

I was wondering: A few days ago a critical Java-update was released, Java 8 Update 77.
But I'm not able to update Java using the console and after having manually uninstalled it and trying to reinstall it (DMG downloaded on java.com), the installer quits without any message.

Anyone having the same issue and/or any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
VSG

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify: Do you have Java RE or Java JDK?
[doublepost=1459076122][/doublepost]Never mind. I had an old version of Java RE still here (Java 8 Update 60). Upgrading from that, everything worked. But the new DMG (update 77) doesn't install and neither did an update from Java 8 Update 66 or what ever I had before.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify: Do you have Java RE or Java JDK?
[doublepost=1459076122][/doublepost]Never mind. I had an old version of Java RE still here (Java 8 Update 60). Upgrading from that, everything worked. But the new DMG (update 77) doesn't install and neither did an update from Java 8 Update 66 or what ever I had before.

Thanks anyway!
I have both Java Runtime and Java SDK, or Java SE. I don't know what your Java RE mean but since your problem is solved, everyone is happy now.
Congratulations. :)

macazap

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
I have both Java Runtime and Java SDK, or Java SE. I don't know what your Java RE mean but since your problem is solved, everyone is happy now.
Congratulations. :)

Not everyone. Same issue, U77 flashes Java install screen then poof. Nada. Does not update. Removing all Java, reboot and installing U60 worked, but then the update to 77 still fails.

No joy. U78?! Build 4?! Oracle?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not everyone. Same issue, U77 flashes Java install screen then poof. Nada. Does not update. Removing all Java, reboot and installing U60 worked, but then the update to 77 still fails.

No joy. U78?! Build 4?! Oracle?
Stick at U60 until there are more build coming out. Maybe, U90?

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
My wife is unable to install the latest version of Java: Java 8 Update 77.

She has a Mid 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro and is running the latest version of El Capitan.

She starts her update from Sys Prefs > Java control panel, the update downloads, she inputs her admin password and hits the Install button and instead of getting a progress bar showing the install (which lasted a few seconds on both my computers) he progress bar flashed for a nanosecond and that was it. Simply nothing happens and the Java control panel continues to show her running the older version of Java.

She has tried multiple times with multiple restarts in between attempts, but no luck.

I Googled it and found one suggestion to download the offline installer, went to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, did so, but same thing happened. After clicking Install, the progress bar flashed for a nanosecond and that was it.
Would anyone recommend following the instructions here https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml for uninstalling Java completely and then try re-installing?

Any other recommendations?

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Would anyone recommend following the instructions here https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml for uninstalling Java completely and then try re-installing?

I had tried that, didn't work either.
Two things that did work for me.

0. Uninstall the existing Java-installation.
  1. Installing the Java JDK - of course that comes with a lot of software only needed by developers and has more than twice the size, but it did work and included the runtime environment. OR
  2. Installing the Java Runtime Environment Update 60 and then running the update from that. It installed the U77 without any hiccups.
I hope that helps.
Best regards,
VSG

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I had tried that, didn't work either.
Two things that did work for me.

0. Uninstall the existing Java-installation.
  1. Installing the Java JDK - of course that comes with a lot of software only needed by developers and has more than twice the size, but it did work and included the runtime environment. OR
  2. Installing the Java Runtime Environment Update 60 and then running the update from that. It installed the U77 without any hiccups.
I hope that helps.
Best regards,
VSG
[doublepost=1460413323][/doublepost]Thanks, VSG. We found the terminal command for removing Java from one's system at the Java site and from that same site downloaded and installed the Java Runtime Environment Update 60.

All is now working just fine.

Many thanks for the assistance.

thericker52

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
I have Java 8, update 91 on my MacBook Pro, running El Capitan and I get a message every so often saying I need to update Java. When I open the Java Control Panel and click on update it tells me my Java is up to date. I double checked the version and it shows Java 8, update 91. Any suggestions to keep this message from popping up every 10-15 minutes or so?

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I have Java 8, update 91 on my MacBook Pro, running El Capitan and I get a message every so often saying I need to update Java. When I open the Java Control Panel and click on update it tells me my Java is up to date. I double checked the version and it shows Java 8, update 91. Any suggestions to keep this message from popping up every 10-15 minutes or so?

Have you tried unchecking the Check for Updates Automatically option on the Java Control Panel?

DS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.