Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
Upgraded to Mojave a year ago and lately started locking up with multiple screen images. Could not resolve the issue so I upgraded to Catalina using (dosdude1) Patch and OSX 10.15.7 .

This solved the issue of locking up and now have a full version of Catalina running on 24" iMac early 2009 , 8Gb men, 1TB HD and GT130 graphics. Runs like a top but cannot upgrade iWORK 08 to iWORK 09 as unavailability.

Downloaded iWORK 2013 and managed to get Pages running but not Numbers. Originally kept getting Error Code -36. Ran Terminal to with (dot_clean) to sort out problems but it didn't resolve the issue. Next , I tried iWork 09 as recommended by MacRumours and it appeared to be successful in starting using Security to run anyway but it never gets past needing QuickTime 7.5.5 or later. I have QuickTime Player 10.5 so not sure what the issue is here.

I also tried going to Mac App store to download but the message there keeps popping up needing OSX 12 or later. Well Catalina qualifies for that.

My machine was set up as requested with the APFS format on HD .

Not sure what to do now , the usual thoughts go to 'CleanMyMac X' , Apple diagnostics but that is for Hardware and the issue is software.

Last but not least when the problem error screen pops up saying App quit , it looks like a signatory error.

Can this be resolved with Terminal App overwriting part of the script or should I just be happy with a running Old Mac. I do have a laptop that runs all this stuff but the big screen was what I was after. If needed I can copy and attach Apple problem report.

Regards, Roverlen

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
How about using OpenCore instead of the DosDude patcher? As good as his patcher is, IMO it's an outdated method of patching an unsupported OS. Also, iWork might require the Metal API, I'm not completely sure on that one though.

Reactions: mikelets456

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
That was quick. I checked the Patcher version that I have and its 1.2. So-o-o Downloaded Ver 1.4.7 but it will not execute or load. Wasn't sure if I should just drop it in Applications versus double0click icon. I was hoping that the Version installed presently was the hold up. Maybe removing older version in Applications would help loading the newer version?

As for you suggestion on OpenCore , I can search for it or can you suggest a link?

As for the graphics requiring the Metal API , your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks, Len

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
Oddly enough dosdude says it automatically updates on every boot up. However, I run it the odd time to see if updates are available, it comes back as up to date. Mind you that version is still 1.2 and not the latest a t 1.4.7. Curious as to why it doesn't overwrite the original in Applications.

I'll check out OpenCore as you suggested.

As for Pages, this is the problem message that I get for it on not booting up;

It looks like a Memory address problem

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread: 6 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.utility-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000008ae8fbfd740
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [1352]

Cheers, len

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
I think you can update the patches in System Prefs > Patch Updater... it automatically puts a prefs pane there for you I think.

As far as OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) goes, here's some instructions: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html
On review of the web site , the OpenCore installation practically mirrors the dosdude install. While reading the web site you suggested, they imply that if I change the HD to SSD the speed and performance will improve.

If I replace the HD with a new SSD into the 2009 iMAC and for expediency sake install the OSX from a USB Key with OpenCore Catalina or Monterey using the same procedure with the Option key on start up.

Since I would need a boot USB to format, I thought the Monterey USB key could do all that. Is this possible or will I have to install the old OSX and start over from that? Hoping to eliminate multiple installs from one OSX to another.

Your suggestion will help in this matter. I am not adverse to making the hardware change for performance improvement.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
You'll need to have an old preferably supported macOS version to actually build OCLP to the EFI partition of the hard drive, so boot into Internet Recovery or something and install a supported version. Then use OCLP and follow the instructions.

As far as an SSD goes, I'd highly recommend getting one, as they are substantially faster.

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
I completely agree with your suggestion about reverting the OSX back by Command-R , then proceeding to Install OpenCore. Sounds very logical except I’m a little apprehensive and fear of losing data and MacOffice 16 App requiring complete install.

I have the registration number but fear that Microsoft will not comply because they want leasing through Office 365. Your opinion on that.

Here is what I propose;

~ make a Monterey patch and boot on a USB key

~ Use a new SSD with SATA tray to USB 3.0 cable.

~ Use Monterey key to install on new SSD via USB cable tray

~ Test SSD boot to ensure installation valid

~ Replace HD in iMAC with SSD and boot for conformation done properly

~ Plug original HD removed from iMAC into SATA/USB cable tray

~ Use Monterey ‘Migration App’ to transfer data to new SSD installed in iMAC

The suggestion about using Command_R to revert back to original OSX worried me.

Seeing that the system was already converted to APFS with ‘dosdude’, what would happen to all my data/documents. I thought my proposal was the safest method.

Would Apple software migrate things backward from APFS to +HFS?

your thoughts,

Cheers

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Upgraded to Mojave a year ago and lately started locking up with multiple screen images. Could not resolve the issue so I upgraded to Catalina using (dosdude1) Patch and OSX 10.15.7 .

This solved the issue of locking up and now have a full version of Catalina running on 24" iMac early 2009 , 8Gb men, 1TB HD and GT130 graphics. Runs like a top but cannot upgrade iWORK 08 to iWORK 09 as unavailability....
snip
My machine was set up as requested with the APFS format on HD .
This is not a good idea, as APFS-hosted MacOSes does not run that well on rotational hard-drives, and will shorten their lifespan.

Since it seems like your Catalina installation is a failed attempt at solving a problem, let's try this instead:

0. Necessities: a) either an external-drive or USB-stick with more empty space than your existing installation. b) Carbon Copy Cloner 5 or Get Backup Pro. c) Open Core Legacy or Dosdude Mojave patcher (I assume you already have one of these if you've installed Mojave on a 2009 blackback.) d. the DriveDx utility. (Many of these boogers are discontinued, so you'll have to hoist the Jolly Roger to find them.)

0a. If DriveDx says your internal drive is failing, it probably is. (Although some rotational drives appear capable of running in a "failing" state for decades without actually dying, if the the green "health bars" in DriveDX are turning yellow or red, it's time for a new drive and relegate the old one to backup.)

0b. Disable Gatekeeper SIP, and ensure System Preferences > Security & Privacy is set to "Allow downloaded apps from...Anywhere". (This will require a minor bit of Terminal-fu; Google will quickly reveal the necessary code strings.)

1. Using Disk Utility, create two new partitions on the main hard-drive or an external drive or USB stick of ~32gb. At least one of them should be formatted MacOS Extended (journaled), i.e., regular HFS+.

2. Install a fresh Mojave into one of the new partitions using whatever means you did the first time. (Dosdude or OpenCoreLegacy tool, I presume.) When Mojave is finished installing, check for and install any remain updates to bring in up to 10.14.6 final. (If the Dosdude mechanism still works, good. Otherwise, OpenCoreLegacy's EFI bootloader system can be installed.)

3. The Mojave installer converted the target partition to APFS...let's now get off that. Simply clone that new partition (using Carbon Copy Cloner 5 or GetBackupPro) to the other HFS+ partition you made. When finished, CCC5 will ask you if you want to create a Recovery Partition; Yes your way through that short procedure. Restart into that partition to verify it works.

4. Mop up: Create another large HFS+ partition on the external-drive (or internal, if you're not using much space) that is slightly larger than your existing main OS installation. Clone yet again to that, then boot from it (may require OpenCoreLegacy EFI installation). Within it, use the Migration utility to port over your files as best you can, ideally from an old Mojave save.

-- If whatever issues you initially had are now solved, great! (After kicking the tires for a little while longer, you're ready to ready to delete the internal drive back to HFS+, then clone your completed Mojave installation back to it. You might also think about making two 500gb partitions on 1TB rotationals, and running the OS in the first partition while saving the slower portion of the disk for documents and downloads.)

-- If they're not, then try see if installing Open Core Legacy (provided you were previously using the dosdude patcher) solves the issue.

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
You'll need to have an old preferably supported macOS version to actually build OCLP to the EFI partition of the hard drive, so boot into Internet Recovery or something and install a supported version. Then use OCLP and follow the instructions.

As far as an SSD goes, I'd highly recommend getting one, as they are substantially faster.
Followed your recommendation, installed using OpenCore and Monterey on new Samsung SSD 870 and problem solved. Now have latest versions of Pages and Numbers. However, my worries about Microsoft Office16 was a waste since that software was 32 bit version and incompatible with Monterey. The only problem was with 'Migration' as it did not respond well and so I only copied over what was desired. That saved a lot of clean up later.

Thanks for putting me onto 'github' and the OpenCore install.

Regards, Roverlen

Roverlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
snip

This is not a good idea, as APFS-hosted MacOSes does not run that well on rotational hard-drives, and will shorten their lifespan.

Since it seems like your Catalina installation is a failed attempt at solving a problem, let's try this instead:

0. Necessities: a) either an external-drive or USB-stick with more empty space than your existing installation. b) Carbon Copy Cloner 5 or Get Backup Pro. c) Open Core Legacy or Dosdude Mojave patcher (I assume you already have one of these if you've installed Mojave on a 2009 blackback.) d. the DriveDx utility. (Many of these boogers are discontinued, so you'll have to hoist the Jolly Roger to find them.)

0a. If DriveDx says your internal drive is failing, it probably is. (Although some rotational drives appear capable of running in a "failing" state for decades without actually dying, if the the green "health bars" in DriveDX are turning yellow or red, it's time for a new drive and relegate the old one to backup.)

0b. Disable Gatekeeper SIP, and ensure System Preferences > Security & Privacy is set to "Allow downloaded apps from...Anywhere". (This will require a minor bit of Terminal-fu; Google will quickly reveal the necessary code strings.)

1. Using Disk Utility, create two new partitions on the main hard-drive or an external drive or USB stick of ~32gb. At least one of them should be formatted MacOS Extended (journaled), i.e., regular HFS+.

2. Install a fresh Mojave into one of the new partitions using whatever means you did the first time. (Dosdude or OpenCoreLegacy tool, I presume.) When Mojave is finished installing, check for and install any remain updates to bring in up to 10.14.6 final. (If the Dosdude mechanism still works, good. Otherwise, OpenCoreLegacy's EFI bootloader system can be installed.)

3. The Mojave installer converted the target partition to APFS...let's now get off that. Simply clone that new partition (using Carbon Copy Cloner 5 or GetBackupPro) to the other HFS+ partition you made. When finished, CCC5 will ask you if you want to create a Recovery Partition; Yes your way through that short procedure. Restart into that partition to verify it works.

4. Mop up: Create another large HFS+ partition on the external-drive (or internal, if you're not using much space) that is slightly larger than your existing main OS installation. Clone yet again to that, then boot from it (may require OpenCoreLegacy EFI installation). Within it, use the Migration utility to port over your files as best you can, ideally from an old Mojave save.

-- If whatever issues you initially had are now solved, great! (After kicking the tires for a little while longer, you're ready to ready to delete the internal drive back to HFS+, then clone your completed Mojave installation back to it. You might also think about making two 500gb partitions on 1TB rotationals, and running the OS in the first partition while saving the slower portion of the disk for documents and downloads.)

-- If they're not, then try see if installing Open Core Legacy (provided you were previously using the dosdude patcher) solves the issue.
Thanks for your suggestion but the response was a little late since I had already made the conversion with OpenCore. I was aware of the two partitions but not something I was ready to work on. If you read further on in the thread you will see that I converted to a SSD 1TB Samsung drive and installed Monterey using the OpenCore method. Solved all my problems with minimal problems.

I did have an issue with 'Migration' using that procedure so manually moved data over via USB 3.0 to SATAIII hard drive adaptor.

Roverlen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.