Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhousestudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Hi All: I'd love some ideas on this problem. It's in the category of 'it should work', but unfortunately it doesn't:

I am unable to get network users to login to managed clients. At the login window, of a client, network users are not shown. When I use other and type in a username and password it shakes. The username I am trying to use has a guest shared, AFP automount home folder.

Here's a couple of more specific details (all of which suggest that I'm close):

1- I have been able to successfully bind the client to the server using Directory Utility;

2- I've been able to successfully manage the Login dialog box on the client from the Server (specifically, I was able to turn off the 'Others...' option in the Login dialog and then turn it back on);

3- I've added 'network users' to the access list of the client (in Workgroup Manager>Login Preferences>Access)

4- Although I'm not sure this is necessary, I've also set-up a home sharepoint, and a home folder for the user which I'm testing.

Based on the above, it seems like there is a valid connection between the client and the server. Thus, I'm guessing I have a user set-up problem. Is there a parameter that needs to be set to designate a user as a 'Network User'?

Last, I'm not using Mac OSX Server for DNS Server; I'm using my DSL Modem/Router for that. Is that a requirement? Given that the client and server seem to be bound correctly, I'm hoping that I'm good. I'd really LOVE to avoid a re-install, as I have a bunch of Wiki data set-up and it's hassle to migrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.