Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Here's everything I've tried.
1) Since my Samsung T5 SSD is in Ex-fat format and seems to work properly. I backed up 3TB data and then formatted it to ex-Fat and moved the data back. It still doesn't seem to work.
2) I've tried using WD discovery to mount. It just doesn't work. Not even an error.
3) Tried Removing Password.
4) Tried Using WD Security for the same.
5) Tried mounting using the disk Utilities. Got this.
"Could not mount “My Passport”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49223.)"
6) Tried using commands in one similar thread that removes the fsck(whatever that is. I'm a first-time mac user. Been a windows user for years).
7) Tried mounting directly from the terminal.
Got
"
Volume on disk4s1 failed to mount
"
8)Tried mounting in read-only mode. Still Doesn't work.
(A week ago, It worked in Readonly. Even when it was in NTFS. But suddenly disappeared.)
Disk checkup says the drive is OK.
And it still works perfectly fine in Windows.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Is there some compelling reason you're formatting everything to exFAT? Are you using the T5 and the WD Passport with a Windows machine in addition to your M1 Air?

Also, WD usually includes their own software on their Passport drives and they're pre-formatted to NTFS. It's always best to wipe the drive with your M1 using Disk Utility and then format it to HFS+ or APFS.

What you've done (from your post) is confusing and could be why the Passport won't mount.

Reactions: Longkeg and chabig

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Never ever, ever use the third party software that comes bundled with the new drive if you intend the drive to go anywhere near a Mac. Apple’s Disk Utility is all you will need.

I have to ask: How did you backup data and then format to ex-fat without erasing the disk? I too am confused.

And please, don’t use all caps. Either in a heading or the body of the message. It’s just rude.

Reactions: chabig

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Is there some compelling reason you're formatting everything to exFAT? Are you using the T5 and the WD Passport with a Windows machine in addition to your M1 Air?

Also, WD usually includes their own software on their Passport drives and they're pre-formatted to NTFS. It's always best to wipe the drive with your M1 using Disk Utility and then format it to HFS+ or APFS.

What you've done (from your post) is confusing and could be why the Passport won't mount.
I read that ex-Fat is now natively supported by macs.
Yes, I'm using it alongside a windows machine. That is my primary work machine.
WD's software as I mentioned. Didn't seem to work..
If I format it to HFS+ or APFS as you said. Will I be able to use it with my PC too??

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Never ever, ever use the third party software that comes bundled with the new drive if you intend the drive to go anywhere near a Mac. Apple’s Disk Utility is all you will need.

I have to ask: How did you backup data and then format to ex-fat without erasing the disk? I too am confused.

And please, don’t use all caps. Either in a heading or the body of the message. It’s just rude.
I have multiple WD HDDs. I just used WD's software to back up my drive to another one. And then restored the data later on.
So I did erase the disk.
I apologize for the all-caps heading.
Kindly tell me what should I do now to make this work.
I have a Windows 10 PC.
If that helps..Here are the specs.
(MSI 370 PC PRO MB, 16GB ToughRam 3200MHz, 1Tb Xpg SSD and 1TB WD HDD, Intel i7 8700).

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
I have multiple WD HDDs. I just used WD's software to back up my drive to another one. And then restored the data later on.
So I did erase the disk.
I apologize for the all-caps heading.
I have a Windows 10 PC.
If that helps..Here are the specs.
(MSI 370 PC PRO MB, 16GB ToughRam 3200MHz, 1Tb Xpg SSD and 1TB WD HDD, Intel i7 8700).
To help you we need more details about the WD drive. How is it partitioned? Are you using some sort of WD utility software on the drive that could be incompatible with your M1 / Big Sur? etc.

As a general point, as @Longkeg suggested you don't need to use any drive manufacturers utilities to use your drive under MacOS. If anything, such software can cause issues like you're getting now. A drive is just a drive, and it needs no special utilities etc to work under MacOS. So let us know if you are using any such s/w on the drive.

With that out of the way;
- plug in the WD drive
- press the Command and Space keys together, and start typing 'disk utility'. Hit return to open the MacOS Disk Utility app.
- in Disk Utility menu, select View | Show All Devices
- can you see your WD Drive in the left hand pane? There should be a section headed 'Internal' which is your Macbook internal SSD, and a section headed 'External' which should have details of your WD drive in it.
- Click on the topmost entry (ie your WD drive) in the 'External' section of the left hand pane to select it. The main right hand pane should now show the partition layout of the WD drive. Make a screen grab of the Disk Utility app and post it here for others to interpret.

If there's no entry for your WD drive in Disk Utility, then there's a basic connectivity problem with your drive. Try things like another cable, another port on your Macbook.

Reactions: Longkeg

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
I wish we could but there are so many variables to this issue since the WD software is involved. Was the disk encrypted? Are you using the same cables when going from PC to Mac? I’m no ex-fat expert but isn’t there a limit on the file size in ex-fat?

Macs can decipher ex-fat disks out of the box but since it can’t boot from an ex-fat volume I wouldn’t say it does it “natively.”

When using Disk Utility on the Mac is “show all disks” checked? Make sure you’re selecting the icon for the whole disk and not just the formatted volume. Now try DU again. Trash the WD software.

Edit: Totally agree with Mick2. We must have been typing our replies at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mick2

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
While using ex-fat is a free solution for cross platform use, it has its limitations. I've been using NTFS for Mac by Paragon for years and for $20, it is the most trouble free solution IMHO. Once installed, it is nearly transparent and gives you full R/W access to NTFS drives on your Mac. There is a 10 day free trial period. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: chscag

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Are you using some sort of WD utility software on the drive that could be incompatible with your M1 / Big Sur? etc.
No Such Utility.
With that out of the way;
- plug in the WD drive
- press the Command and Space keys together, and start typing 'disk utility'. Hit return to open the MacOS Disk Utility app.
- can you see your WD Drive in the left hand pane? There should be a section headed 'Internal' which is your Macbook internal SSD, and a section headed 'External' which should have details of your WD drive in it.
- Click on the topmost entry (ie your WD drive) in the 'External' section of the left hand pane to select it. The main right hand pane should now show the partition layout of the WD drive. Make a screen grab of the Disk Utility app and post it here for others to interpret.
As I've mentioned in my original post. The Drive does show up. But I'm unable to mount it. It's weirdly Grayed out. And clicking the Mount Option gives this error.
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.27.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.27.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.28.10 AM.png

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Was the disk encrypted? Are you using the same cables when going from PC to Mac?
I'm using the same cables. The disk had a password, yes. But I removed it later since I thought that might be what's causing this.
When using Disk Utility on the Mac is “show all disks” checked? Make sure you’re selecting the icon for the whole disk and not just the formatted volume. Now try DU again. Trash the WD software.
The Disk shows up. It's just grayed out. I've uploaded images in the reply above this.

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
What happens when you click on “View”? Do you get the “Show all disks” option? If so click it. What do you see? Show us.
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 2.29.13 AM.png

This Shows Up.
I Clicked info and it had this
Volume type : Physical Device
BSD device node : disk4
Connection : USB
Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/arm-io@10F00000/usb-drd1@2280000/usb-drd1-port-ss@01200000
Writable : No
Is case-sensitive : No
Volume capacity : 40,00,75,25,99,040
Available space (Purgeable + Free) : 0
Purgeable space : 0
Free space : 0
Used space : 40,00,75,25,99,040
Owners enabled : No
Is encrypted : No
Can be verified : No
Can be repaired : No
Bootable : No
Journaled : No
Disk number : 4
Media name : WD My Passport 25E2 Media
Media type : Generic
Ejectable : Yes
Solid state : No
SMART status : Not Supported

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 2.29.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 2.29.13 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 198

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
No Such Utility.

As I've mentioned in my original post. The Drive does show up. But I'm unable to mount it. It's weirdly Grayed out. And clicking the Mount Option gives this error.
View attachment 1754518 View attachment 1754519 View attachment 1754520
You've not followed the 3rd instruction in my post, namely:

The reason I wrote those steps as I did is you need to get to view the actual partition thats causing the problem, as well as the drive that contains it. And you do this by selecting 'Show All Devices'.

Once you can see the partition, you can then select it and try to erase it by reformatting. Doesnt matter what format for now - exFat, HFS, APFS will all work for testing purposes. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA YOU MAY HAVE ON THIS DRIVE...so back it up before doing this erase if the drive contains data.

This erase will also remove any WD specific utilities / crapware that may be on the drive.

If erasing doesnt work, post what error you're getting.

Edit: Just seen that @Longkeg has already asked you to do this. He's right :cool:

Last edited:

armaan199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Once you can see the partition, you can then select it and try to erase it by reformatting. Doesnt matter what format for now - exFat, HFS, APFS will all work for testing purposes. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA YOU MAY HAVE ON THIS DRIVE...so back it up before doing this erase if the drive contains data.
I tried this. But then I wasn't able to use the drive on any Windows PC. (Obviously).
So I reformatted it to ex-Fat using a Windows Pc but this time I used the disk allocation size of 1024 bytes instead of the previous 4096. It turns out Macs have a problem working with drives with a cluster size of more than that.

ThankYou all for all the recommendations and Help.

Reactions: Quackers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.