Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p a t r i c k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hi

I have 10.4.5 on my Mac Mini 2018. I have discovered that if I move a file to the trash I get this dialogue box saying:

Are you sure you want to delete "name of file"?
This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action.

With that dialogue there is a "Cancel" and a "Delete" button. If I click "Delete" then the file is indeed deleted, but it doesn't go into the trash.

This happens only for files on the hard drive in the Mac Mini which has the OS. There is no problem with external hard drives. With them I can move stuff to the trash no problem, there is not dialogue and they will just go into the trash as you would expect.

I do have FileVault enabled on the Mac Mini. I doubt it makes any difference for this issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

I don't know when it started. It was a while before I noticed actually, I'd just been unthinking clicking on "Delete" in that dialogue box for a couple of days without realising this was not what should be happening.

Thank you for any assistance you can give with this.

p a t r i c k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I've now solved this problem using the very good instructions at The X Lab web-site.

I used Terminal to delete my .Trash file then I logged out. When I logged back in trash is working as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.