Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebin553

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2021
Hi,
After many days of trying to figure this out, I'm coming here for some assistance..

The Photos app on my mac will not open at all. I have updated to macOS Monterey, I have tried the command-option to repair the app, but I still see the "Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library" (4302)". I have also attempted to create a new library suggested by other forums but not sure how that works...

All of my photos from all of my iPhones are backed up here and I would be utterly devastated if I were to lose them/or never see them again.
Thank you so much!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Is your photo library on an external ssd or hd? Did you try to run First Aid from the Disk Utility to repair possible disk errors or inconsistencies?

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
No idea why it will not open but at this point protect the originals.
Copy the library first. Rename the copy to include copy in the name.
On the copy, can you right click and "show package contents" then see a folder called "originals" Then there is a folder structure inside 0-9 then A-F. Open one of them and all your picture should be in there.

Reactions: Slartibart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.